Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Two quick questions about my band-related website

Reply
Thread Tools

Two quick questions about my band-related website

 
 
Geoff Hague
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
Hey everyone!

First thing's first:
My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/
Style-sheet:
http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/mo...rnRepublic.css

My questions are:

1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all the
excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom of
the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?

2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page. Each of
the links is enclosed within a <span> tag, set to a fixed width of 80px.
What's currently happening when the mouse is hovered over a link is that the
text changes color from white to black, and the background color switches on
to white. The problem is that the background color only turns to white for
the width of the text in the link. Is there any way to make the entire
width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse hovers
over the link?

Thanks very much!
~Geoff


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Els
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
Geoff Hague wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> First thing's first:
> My website:
> http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/
> Style-sheet:
> http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/mo...ic/ModernRepub
> lic.css
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to
> remove all the excess space between the bottom of the
> "Submit" button, and the bottom of the yellow Mailing List
> box. Any suggestions?


form{margin-bottom:0px;}

> 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of
> the page. Each of the links is enclosed within a <span>
> tag, set to a fixed width of 80px. What's currently
> happening when the mouse is hovered over a link is that the
> text changes color from white to black, and the background
> color switches on to white. The problem is that the
> background color only turns to white for the width of the
> text in the link. Is there any way to make the entire
> width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when
> the mouse hovers over the link?


Try display:block on the <a> element.
Not sure, haven't tested.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:39:37 GMT, Geoff Hague
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/


> 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all the
> excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom of
> the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?


Try

form { padding-bottom: 0; }

Should reduce it, but I'd say you'll have to take it out of the table to
get rid of _all_ the space.

> 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page. Each of

<snip>
> Is there any way to make the entire
> width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse hovers
> over the link?


span:hover { background-color: white; }

Not supported by IE. Why are they in a span, anyway? Why not just style
the <a>?

E.g.

#navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
background-color: black; }

#navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }

Not tested, but should do basically what you want.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
"Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
Geoff Hague
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2004
"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1mofro88dgcl4$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:39:37 GMT, Geoff Hague
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
> > My website: http://www.captainsoftheworld.com/modernrepublic/

>
> > 1) In my "Mailing List" box, I can't seem to find a way to remove all

the
> > excess space between the bottom of the "Submit" button, and the bottom

of
> > the yellow Mailing List box. Any suggestions?

>
> Try
>
> form { padding-bottom: 0; }
>
> Should reduce it, but I'd say you'll have to take it out of the table to
> get rid of _all_ the space.
>
> > 2) This is regarding the navigation links near the top of the page.

Each of
> <snip>
> > Is there any way to make the entire
> > width of the <span> tag turn on its background-color when the mouse

hovers
> > over the link?

>
> span:hover { background-color: white; }
>
> Not supported by IE. Why are they in a span, anyway? Why not just style
> the <a>?
>
> E.g.
>
> #navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
> background-color: black; }
>
> #navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }
>
> Not tested, but should do basically what you want.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
> "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004



Thanks! Got everything working now.. (heh, this is a GREAT newsgroup!)
~Geoff


 
Reply With Quote
 
Neal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2004
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:26:57 GMT, Geoff Hague <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1mofro88dgcl4$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> #navigation a { display: block; float: left; width: 80px; color: white;
>> background-color: black; }
>>
>> #navigation a:hover { color: black; background-color: white; }
>>
>> Not tested, but should do basically what you want.
>>

> Thanks! Got everything working now.. (heh, this is a GREAT newsgroup!)



Sure is. Learn to trim a bit, and it'll be relly great!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2004
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:02:55 -0400, Neal <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in
alt.html:

> it'll be relly great!


Yep, tell your family too! (SCNR)

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
"Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two quick questions JS Java 7 01-18-2006 11:55 AM
two quick questions tascienu@ecoaches.com XML 1 03-13-2005 09:45 PM
Just two quick questions Horny Porno-thologist XML 2 01-27-2004 10:29 PM
two quick questions Steve 'Wacko' Computer Support 6 09-27-2003 04:11 AM
two quick questions Elaine Jackson Python 7 08-13-2003 10:35 PM



Advertisments