Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need help setting up clients MX record

Need help setting up clients MX record

Larry Webb

I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
name.

I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
of my current setup and help me get it right.

Thanks for your time
Larry

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"Larry Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8NcJc.64422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
> has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
> because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
> name.
>
> I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
> of my current setup and help me get it right.

You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.

--Tina
--
FREE: Web hosting accounts
HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers

Larry Webb

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

> "Larry Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8NcJc.64422$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
>>has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
>>because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
>>name.
>>
>>I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
>>of my current setup and help me get it right.

> You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
> for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.
>
> --Tina

Tina:

The problem is their mail server is identified by an IP address -
64.179.109.151. The way I understand it, in my DNS Zone, I should have
the IP address point to a machine name (mail.gardall.com ?) and then
have the MX record pont to mail.gardall.com

I'm just not sure what goes where.

Thanks
Larry

Toby Inkster

Larry Webb wrote:

> I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
> has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
> because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
> name.

Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
bouncing a lot of mail!

You need something like this:

mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
example.net MX 10 mail.example.net

HTH

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./beatles/blue_cd1/01_strawberry_fields_forever.ogg

Larry Webb

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Larry Webb wrote:
>

>>I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
>>has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
>>because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
>>name.

> Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
> a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
> bouncing a lot of mail!
>
> You need something like this:
>
> mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
> example.net MX 10 mail.example.net
>
> HTH

Thanks HTH,

You've confirmed what I found looking into this. I've made the changes
and the DNS report now shows things are now OK. I wonder if it takes
some time for this to resolve.

Larry

Toby Inkster

Larry Webb wrote:

> Thanks HTH,

HTH isn't my name. HTH = "Hope that helps".

> I wonder if it takes some time for this to resolve.

Yep -- I believe it theoretically depends on the TTL value associated with
your DNS entries (usually set at 1 day), but in practice it usually takes
a couple of days for the rest of the world to catch up with you.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Mark Parnell

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:18 GMT, Larry Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Thanks HTH,

His name is Toby.

HTH = Hope That Helps.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=usenet+acronyms

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Hywel

In article <1wz3ie4qwxr8f.7r4bh3rtk1z0$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark Parnell
says...
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:18 GMT, Larry Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
> > Thanks HTH,

> His name is Toby.

Only during the day time. At night he's "Tobias - Slayer of Cuddly,
Furry Creatures". He's mighty scary, too.

--
Hywel

http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

Toby Inkster

Hywel wrote:

> Only during the day time. At night he's "Tobias - Slayer of Cuddly,
> Furry Creatures". He's mighty scary, too.

<gnash> Rarrr!!!! <squeak>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS