Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Latin text

Latin text

SamuŽl van Laere

Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
you use on your sample pages?

I'm not stupid but never got the hang of latin

Regards,
SamuŽl

kayodeok

"SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1WBIc.125549$(E-Mail Removed):

> Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin
> mean that some of you use on your sample pages?
>
> I'm not stupid but never got the hang of latin

It's just dummy text
http://www.lipsum.com/

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Neal

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:48:13 GMT, SamuŽl van Laere <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
> you use on your sample pages?
>
> I'm not stupid but never got the hang of latin
>
> Regards,
> SamuŽl

See http://www.lipsum.com/ for some info

Toby Inkster

http://www.lipsum.com/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Dylan Parry

SamuŽl van Laere wrote:

> Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
> you use on your sample pages?

As some have pointed out, it is simply a dummy text used as a filler. It
is also not /really/ Latin as it doesn't make all that much sense, but is
somewhat related to a story that (IIRC) was in Latin.

--
Dylan Parry

Now playing: Yes - The Gates Of Delirium [live][Symphonic Tour]

Jukka K. Korpela

"SamuŽl van Laere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that
> some of you use on your sample pages?

I don't think _all_ (or even most) of us use any Latin on our pages.
Sed multi sunt, qui Latine scribere putantur.

The "Lorem ipsum" nonsense, which should not be called pig Latin to avoid
insulting pigs (it is not _possible_ to insult Latin of course), is
harmful for the very same reason why people think it's useful:
it's nonsense, not to be read and understood. Thus it used to test only
the visual appearance, not readability.

Besides, real-life texts behave differently from Lorem ipsum bla bla. For
example, if you real pages are in German or Finnish, the average word
length is probably much bigger than in Lorem ipsum. And this surely
affects the appearance. For typical English text, on the other hand,
words are probably much shorter. The morale is: use real texts instead of
dummy texts when testing.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Neal

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:23:33 +0000 (UTC), Jukka K. Korpela
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The morale is: use real texts instead of
> dummy texts when testing.

I'll add that form should follow function in a website. Authors should be
most concerned with the content and how to deliver it, rather than the
colors and positioning and sizing of elements. Therefore, unless you're
simply experimenting with new design forms, you ought to have a basic site
infrastructure and actual copy to use before you begin the graphic part of
design - making the Latin filler unnecessary.

brucie

in post: <news:1WBIc.125549$(E-Mail Removed) >
Samu√ęl van Laere <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Just cause i like to know, but what does all that Latin mean that some of
> you use on your sample pages?

fills a hole. heres an alternative:
http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Gibber/GibGen.htm requires JS

> I'm not stupid

goggle agrees
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Sa...upid%22&num=50

--
b r u c i e

SamuŽl van Laere

Thanks for the answers people, i didn't even know it had a name in the first
place.
Yes it makes sence to use real text for samples that are available to the
public.
Lorem ipsum can be usefull for quick offline testing though.

Regards,
SamuŽl van Laere

Neal

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:52:05 +1000, brucie <****@usenetshit.info> wrote:

> in post: <news:1WBIc.125549$(E-Mail Removed) >
> SamuŽl van Laere <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> I'm not stupid

> goggle agrees
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Sa...upid%22&num=50

And you'll be pleased to see: