Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Fonts in Pages

Re: Fonts in Pages

brucie

in post: <news:cqbHc.503$(E-Mail Removed)>
TheChillPill <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have always been led to believe that for a font to display correctly on a
> page, the visitors pc should have that font installed.

true

> However, the font (which I do not have installed) has been
> rendered correctly on my sustem.

your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
the web page. not recommended.

--
b r u c i e

Arondelle

brucie wrote:
> your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
> the web page. not recommended.

Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

Should I waste any more of my time with WEFT? (So far, it's not going
well.)

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Steve Pugh

Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>brucie wrote:
>> your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
>> the web page. not recommended.

>Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
>formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

It downloads a specially formatted version of the font to the browser
so that the browser can format the text with that font 'on the fly'.
It does not download and install the full font to the user's computer.

Steve

brucie

in post: <news:1dcHc.43370$(E-Mail Removed) >
Arondelle <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
>> the web page. not recommended.

> Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
> formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

the browser needs to download something to know how to render the text.
it depends on the method used as to what gets downloaded but it can be
an entire font file.

> Should I waste any more of my time with WEFT?

you're asking the wrong person. embedded fonts do nothing except **** me
off. microsofts own example is a good demonstration of making previously
readable text unreadable but of course that doesn't matter as long as it
looks kewl.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ft3/weft00.htm

but if you must inflict embedded fonts on your visitors use open
standards, not proprietary.

--
b r u c i e

Fonts suddenly unreadable in IE 6.0 - All other system fonts appear normal Emily Computer Support 3 06-09-2005 04:52 AM
Fonts in Pages TheChillPill HTML 13 07-08-2004 09:36 PM
Re: Fonts in Pages Steve Pugh HTML 1 07-08-2004 01:21 PM
Re: Fonts in Pages SpaceGirl HTML 1 07-08-2004 12:09 PM
asp fonts problems (chinese fonts become ??????) sam ASP General 0 06-06-2004 06:15 AM

Advertisments