Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Mouse overs

Mouse overs

Otuatail

Can anyone help on this one. I have an image which I have modified in photoshop
to hi light an are of the picture. What I am trying is an image map so that the
image will change as well as the cursor. What I have is a lot of these.

<area href="tour_food.htm" coords="98, 155, 103, 163, 191, 165, 190, 116, 138,
121" shape="polygon">

Is this simple to implement. Thanks

Desmond.

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
Otuatail <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Can anyone help on this one. I have an image which I have modified in photoshop
> to hi light an are of the picture. What I am trying is an image map so that the
> image will change as well as the cursor. What I have is a lot of these.
>
> <area href="tour_food.htm" coords="98, 155, 103, 163, 191, 165, 190, 116, 138,
> 121" shape="polygon">
>
> Is this simple to implement. Thanks

slice the image up so the bits you want to change are in separate
pieces. assemble the image on the page so it looks whole. use css :hover
to change the slices as appropriate. image map not required as you can
just link the pieces you need.

if you use css to reassemble the image you don't need to use
rectangular/square pieces like you would if you used a <table>

--
b r u c i e

Jeff Thies

brucie wrote:
> in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
> Otuatail <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>Can anyone help on this one. I have an image which I have modified in photoshop
>>to hi light an are of the picture. What I am trying is an image map so that the
>>image will change as well as the cursor. What I have is a lot of these.
>>
>><area href="tour_food.htm" coords="98, 155, 103, 163, 191, 165, 190, 116, 138,
>>121" shape="polygon">
>>
>>Is this simple to implement. Thanks

> slice the image up so the bits you want to change are in separate
> pieces. assemble the image on the page so it looks whole. use css :hover
> to change the slices as appropriate. image map not required as you can
> just link the pieces you need.

I was unaware that you could do that. I thought you could only change a
background image.

Can you provide a snippit of the style rule that changes an image's
source on hover?

What is the level of support?

Jeff
who thinks mouseovers should only be used with cats.

> if you use css to reassemble the image you don't need to use
> rectangular/square pieces like you would if you used a <table>

brucie

in post: <news:lPdHc.12151$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>

thats ok, i just make this **** up as i go anyway.

http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/chan...er-thingy.****

> What is the level of support?

opera7+ and moz1.7+. moz1.6 or less (win) only on first or second
monitor[1].

not supported by IE and i'm too lazy to bother looking for a fix or an
alternative method.

[1] gecho1.6 (win) or less has a bug with anything that changes state.
it either doesn't appear to work or quickly flashes before returning to
the original state if the browser isn't on the primary or secondary
monitor. it includes the browser GUI itself, not just the web pages.

--
b r u c i e

Jeff Thies

>>I was unaware that you could do that.
>
> thats ok, i just make this **** up as i go anyway.
>
>>Can you provide a snippit of the style rule that changes an image's
>>source on hover?

> http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/chan...er-thingy.****

Cute trick. Worked in my IE5 windows.

Background image switch. No absolute positioning.

I tried it with a background image and setting the link img visibility:
hidden on hover. Worked, but flickered like crazy. That might have been
useful otherwise.

>>What is the level of support?

> opera7+ and moz1.7+. moz1.6 or less (win) only on first or second
> monitor[1].

How many monitors you got there?

I should probably give you the shirt off my back for the tip. It reads:

ELVIS is alive and living in my shorts.
Feel Him, 25cents

Cheers,
Jeff

> not supported by IE and i'm too lazy to bother looking for a fix or an
> alternative method.
>
> [1] gecho1.6 (win) or less has a bug with anything that changes state.
> it either doesn't appear to work or quickly flashes before returning to
> the original state if the browser isn't on the primary or secondary
> monitor. it includes the browser GUI itself, not just the web pages.

brucie

in post: <news:2PpHc.12976$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net>
Jeff Thies <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> How many monitors you got there?

4 but usually 6

> ELVIS is alive and living in my shorts.

you're lucky

> Feel Him, 25cents

can i taste him for $1?

--
b r u c i e

Nik Coughin

brucie wrote:
> in post: <news:2PpHc.12976$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net>
> Jeff Thies <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> How many monitors you got there?

> 4 but usually 6
>
>> ELVIS is alive and living in my shorts.

> you're lucky
>
>> Feel Him, 25cents

> can i taste him for $1?

Dude, for $1 I'll throw in Frank Sinatra as well.

McAfee Left-Overs Computer Support 2 02-12-2007 04:54 PM
mouse-overs in CSS Mice Over HTML 14 05-01-2006 08:02 PM
Left-overs of Astronomical Diary 2005 Norb Digital Photography 0 12-17-2004 06:24 AM
OT - boil overs mark_digital Digital Photography 1 04-12-2004 08:39 PM
DHTML pop-ups,overs & blinking cursors are leaving an artifact mess!! Matthew Javascript 0 12-27-2003 06:15 AM

Advertisments