Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for a good CSS file for webpage projects

Looking for a good CSS file for webpage projects

John Dalberg

I have a hodgepodge of css files for different projects that I have
inherited from others. It's getting a bit messy and confusing and have no
desire to use them again.

For my new projects, I would like to start using a good 'bog' css file that
has a whole bunch of css declarations for a consistent look and feel and it
includes ones that redefine html tags. Anyone can share one or recommend a
site for css samples that I can use.

Also looking for websites that have tutorials on what css to use for good
looking forms and layouts.. like what font to use for form labels, what
font size for what purpose, is it pixel or point...etc I am not into a
general css tutorial but what are good "best practices for css" to enhance
readibility and work flow.

Thanks for any help.

J.

SpaceGirl

John Dalberg wrote:

> I have a hodgepodge of css files for different projects that I have
> inherited from others. It's getting a bit messy and confusing and have no
> desire to use them again.
>
> For my new projects, I would like to start using a good 'bog' css file that
> has a whole bunch of css declarations for a consistent look and feel and it
> includes ones that redefine html tags. Anyone can share one or recommend a
> site for css samples that I can use.
>
> Also looking for websites that have tutorials on what css to use for good
> looking forms and layouts.. like what font to use for form labels, what
> font size for what purpose, is it pixel or point...etc I am not into a
> general css tutorial but what are good "best practices for css" to enhance
> readibility and work flow.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> J.

It'd be just a fast to make one yourself.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

in post: <news:1v50bktuilb5o.k5ko6qn17z7a$(E-Mail Removed) >
John Dalberg <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have a hodgepodge of css files for different projects that I have
> inherited from others. It's getting a bit messy and confusing and have no
> desire to use them again.

delete them. slowly in front of people who don't have css files is best.
also try some "being tortured" sound effect while you're doing it.

> For my new projects, I would like to start using a good 'bog' css file that
> has a whole bunch of css declarations for a consistent look and feel and it
> includes ones that redefine html tags.

like spacegirl says

> Also looking for websites that have tutorials

see below

> like what font to use for form labels,

or how about not specifying any at all so the visitors preferred font is
used or just specifying the generic family so you get the look you want
while the visitor gets their preferred font for that family

> what font size for what purpose, is it pixel or point...etc

percentages and use 100 of 'em as the smallest (some believe slightly
below 100% is ok but i'm not one of 'em).

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.websitetips.com/css/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index
http://old.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php...nt.php3?aid=48
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/wri...ylesheets.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xht...pt/css-4a.html
http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/.../tsutsumi.html
http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic...utorial1a.html
http://webmonkey.com/authoring/style...tutorial1.html

layout examples:
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.bookofstyles.org/
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
http://nemesis1.f2o.org/templates.php
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
http://thenoodleincident.com/tutoria...son/index.html
http://www.webreference.com/authorin...yout/advanced/

some sites using css layouts:
http://www.inc.com/
http://www.wired.com/
http://www.opera.com/
http://www.kitty5.com/
http://www.cinnamon.nl/
http://msn.espn.go.com/
http://www.virtuelvis.com/
http://www.emptybottle.org/
http://www.fastcompany.com/
http://www.littleyellowdifferent.com/
http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2004/

rounded corners:
http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/
http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
lists: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/
pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html
Fast rollovers: http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/

centering thingys
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/center.html
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/middle/
http://hicksdesign.co.uk/articles/cs...ring_with_css/

master compatibility charts:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html
old:
http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...3/css-support/

hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
http://diveintomark.org/safari/csshacks/
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

css checkers:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 Candidate Recommendation
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

--
b r u c i e

Titus A Ducksass - Gran stopped chastising me so I changed back.

For brevity, I agree with what was just said.
However, each and every user can turn off all font, styles and
colours. They can also set their own style sheets if they wish!

So go ahead and set what % you want. Just don't expect every user to
see it how you expect them to. Even - don't expect some of them to
see it at all.

1. Make your html valid.
2. Check that your html is valid.
3. Do not make any claims to being valid - you will get it wrong!
4. Make sure your CSS is valid.
5. Check.....
6. Do not ...
7. Validate, validate, validate...
8. Do not ask for opinions just validate.
--
It will be a great day when our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force

Webcastmaker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> For brevity, I agree with what was just said.
> However, each and every user can turn off all font, styles and
> colours. They can also set their own style sheets if they wish!
> So go ahead and set what % you want. Just don't expect every user to
> see it how you expect them to. Even - don't expect some of them to
> see it at all.

While technically correct, I would guess the percentage of people
that know how (or want) to do this at less than 1% (anyone with facts
disputing this number?)

I think the important thing to remember with the web is that since
the one thing we can agree on is that not everyone will see your site
as you want them to see it. Given that fact, it is even more
important that your target group sees it correctly.

And every site (even if some here refuse to admit it) has a target
audience. Sometimes this target audience is HUGE (google) In which
case it had better work on every browser you can name. And sometimes
it is small (pick any heavy metal band site) Different strokes for
different folks.

But then one of the great things about the web (and this group) is
that we have different points of view. It keeps it real.

> 1. Make your html valid.
> 2. Check that your html is valid.
> 3. Do not make any claims to being valid - you will get it wrong!
> 4. Make sure your CSS is valid.
> 5. Check.....
> 6. Do not ...
> 7. Validate, validate, validate...
> 8. Do not ask for opinions just validate.

How do you really feel about validation?

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed) >
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> For brevity, I agree with what was just said.

YAY!

> However, each and every user can turn off all font, styles and
> colours. They can also set their own style sheets if they wish!

or much more likely hit their back button if the site doesn't "fit" with
their preferences.

> 1. Make your html valid.
> 2. Check that your html is valid.

"HTML validation" is a good tool, but just a tool
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html

--
b r u c i e

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed) >
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> As I said previously, in some countries if your html does not validate
> you are open to prosecution.

i'm sure you mean if you don't make reasonable attempts to make your
sites accessible you're open to prosecution. valid html is one step in
that direction but is not a requirement. <pokes out tongue/>

--
b r u c i e

Toby A Inkster

Titus A Ducksass wrote:

> If it don't validate, you are open to prosecution (in certain
> countries).

Name three.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Titus A Ducksass - Gran stopped chastising me so I changed back.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:08:41 -0400, Webcastmaker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> For brevity, I agree with what was just said.
>> However, each and every user can turn off all font, styles and
>> colours. They can also set their own style sheets if they wish!
>> So go ahead and set what % you want. Just don't expect every user to
>> see it how you expect them to. Even - don't expect some of them to
>> see it at all.

>While technically correct, I would guess the percentage of people
>that know how (or want) to do this at less than 1% (anyone with facts
>disputing this number?)

Yes.
But the point is they can - and I take great pleasure in showing
anyone and everyone how to make the web accessible to themselves.

>I think the important thing to remember with the web is that since
>the one thing we can agree on is that not everyone will see your site
>as you want them to see it. Given that fact, it is even more
>important that your target group sees it correctly.

<Emphasis>my audience is mostly blind</Emphasis>,

>And every site (even if some here refuse to admit it) has a target
>audience. Sometimes this target audience is HUGE (google) In which
>case it had better work on every browser you can name. And sometimes
>it is small (pick any heavy metal band site) Different strokes for
>different folks.

As above

>But then one of the great things about the web (and this group) is
>that we have different points of view. It keeps it real.
>
>> 1. Make your html valid.
>> 2. Check that your html is valid.
>> 3. Do not make any claims to being valid - you will get it wrong!
>> 4. Make sure your CSS is valid.
>> 5. Check.....
>> 6. Do not ...
>> 7. Validate, validate, validate...
>> 8. Do not ask for opinions just validate.

>How do you really feel about validation?

My interpretations may not be legal - they are my logic.
If it don't validate, you are open to prosecution (in certain
countries).
If you want to add the logos afterwards then make sure you have
re-validated as there is nothing worse than addling a 'I AM A PILLOCK'
logo and forgetting to alt tag it.

--
It will be a great day when our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force
has to hold a car boot sale to buy a new bomber.
-
It will be an even better day when schools teach children to read and write.

Titus A Ducksass - Gran stopped chastising me so I changed back.