Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Address Bar Icon

Reply
Thread Tools

Address Bar Icon

 
 
Aaron Keller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
help me out?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Aaron Keller wrote:

> I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
> I have not been able to figure out how it's done.


http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Litt...e_location_bar

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Amos E Wolfe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
"Aaron Keller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
> of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
> I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
> help me out?


Add the following line in the <head> of your html document:

<link rel="shortcut icon"
href="http://www.wherrylines.org.uk/images/wherry.ico">

I found a handy utility called BMP2ICO which created .ico (windows icon)
files by importing an easily creatable bitmap.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sid Ismail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:50:21 +0000 (UTC), "Amos E Wolfe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: "Aaron Keller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: > I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
: > of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
: > I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
: > help me out?
:
: Add the following line in the <head> of your html document:
:
: <link rel="shortcut icon"
: href="http://www.wherrylines.org.uk/images/wherry.ico">
:
: I found a handy utility called BMP2ICO which created .ico (windows icon)
: files by importing an easily creatable bitmap.
:
: -=# Amos E Wolfe #=-
:


Irfanview can make icons too - the OP should also read www.favicon.com

Sid

 
Reply With Quote
 
Davmagic .Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sid*Ismail)
>Irfanview can make icons too - the OP
>should also read www.favicon.com


Thanks for that info, I downloaded IrfanView and used it to change the
file type of my 16x16 Image (which I made at Image Magick) to .ico
format...

I now have the Favicons on many of my pages and they seem to work for
IE, NN, Mozilla and Opera...

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
kate.simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
I think that you can do a search on google.com for, "favicon," and find a
free program to help you create that..

Good times,
Ginae!
http://www.ginae.us

"Aaron Keller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
> of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
> I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
> help me out?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Big Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:08:55 GMT, "kate.simpson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think that you can do a search on google.com for, "favicon," and find a
>free program to help you create that..
>
>Good times,
>Ginae!
>http://www.ginae.us
>
>"Aaron Keller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> I have a nice little web site that serves as an intro to the enjoyment
>> of coffee. I admire sites that show their icon in the address bar but
>> I have not been able to figure out how it's done. Can anyone out there
>> help me out?
>>


There's a program called Miconangelo or similar which will let you
create an icon.gif. You bung it in your root directory and you're
done. As I recall.

BB

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sid Ismail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:01:28 GMT, Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: There's a program called Miconangelo or similar which will let you
: create an icon.gif. You bung it in your root directory and you're
: done. As I recall.


"...or similar..." "... As I recall."

Hehe - you sure of that?

Sid

 
Reply With Quote
 
Davmagic .Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-10-2004

>From: (E-Mail Removed)
>(kate.simpson)
>I think that you can do a search on
>google.com for, "favicon," and find a free
>program to help you create that..


Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES38.html#ex3

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can i add an icon file to the Address Bar (Without bookmarkin =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?= ASP .Net 3 10-01-2004 07:23 AM
disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window Matt HTML 9 08-23-2004 07:49 PM
javascript to disable the title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window Matt Javascript 9 08-23-2004 01:23 PM
Re: disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a browser window John Hann ASP .Net 0 08-21-2004 05:07 AM
disable title bar, status bar, and address bar of a browser window Matt ASP .Net 0 08-21-2004 03:50 AM



Advertisments