Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > formatting poetry,

formatting poetry,

Kazoo

formatting poetry,

I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.

I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

--
When all other means of communication fail, try words.

Kazoo wrote:
> formatting poetry,
>
> I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
> myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
>
> I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
> in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
> well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

Investigate <pre>.
(It's also a good way to present
source code for programs on a webpage.)

PeterMcC

Kazoo wrote in
<0jjGc.9174$(E-Mail Removed). net>

> formatting poetry,
>
> I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
> myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
>
> I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the
> to indent as well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am
> trying to avoid <style>, though if that is the best way of doing it,
> i'd be glad to.

Sorry, CSS *is* the way to go - and, if you give it a try, I'm sure that
you'll find it much the best route both in terms of ease and results.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Toby A Inkster

Kazoo wrote:

> I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
> in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
> well.

They are very avoidable. Use <pre>. Don't like the font? CSS font-family.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

jake

In message <0jjGc.9174$(E-Mail Removed). net>, Kazoo
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>formatting poetry,
>
>I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
>myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
>
>I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
>in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
>well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

One thing that you may want to consider when preparing poetry is that
quite often the poem is presented visually without any punctuation,
presumably on the basis that the reader can determine the appropriate
pauses from construct and the positioning of line breaks.

This can present problems for users who will be listening to the poem
through assistive technology devices (talking browser, screen-reader,
text-to-Braille, etc.).

Without punctuation, the words will tend to run into one another without
pause.

So, if the poem contains no punctuation for its visual presentation,
consider providing an alternative 'accessible' version.

regards.
--
Jake

Eric B. Bednarz

Kazoo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> formatting poetry,

[...]

> I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
> in formatted poetry are unavoidable, [...]

BR says 'do something here', not 'this is a line'.
If you are really just looking for *formatting* of poetry that or PRE
might be OK. HTML as descriptive markup is merely a bad joke anyway.

If you take it more serious, look e.g. at the example at

<http://www.isgmlug.org/sgmlhelp/g-sg13.htm#SG132>

In HTML, the best you can do is to reproduce such a strucure with DIV
markup and recycle the used element type names as class names (to
suggest presentational fine tuning, for example), except for the title
that could be marked up with an appropriate heading.

--
| ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
-(
| ) Distribute me: http://binaries.bednarz.nl/mp3/aicha

Kazoo

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 +0000, Kazoo wrote:

thanks, one and all.

pre it is, style tag and embedded css to add
some beef to the font.

--
"... all the modern inconveniences ..."
-- Mark Twain

Webcastmaker

In article <0jjGc.9174$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
> I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
> in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
> well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

Don't avoid it. But you don't need it. Create a class that is
indented and just use that when it is needed. CSS is your friend.
--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Sid Ismail

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 GMT, Kazoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: formatting poetry,
:
: I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
: myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
:
: I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
: in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
: well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid
: <style>, though if that is the best way of doing it, i'd be glad to.

Maybe <blockquote> then PRE? URL?

Sid

Reid

Kazoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jFlGc.3055$sD4.2385
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 +0000, Kazoo wrote:
>

> thanks, one and all.
>
> pre it is, style tag and embedded css to add
> some beef to the font.

Interestingly, the WWWC used poetry as its example for a use of PRE.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4>

Weird formatting problems appearing only in Linux version of FireFox news@celticbear.com Firefox 5 12-30-2004 03:40 PM
Formatting Question Markus Firefox 13 10-23-2004 08:17 PM
Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive Mark T. Computer Support 3 11-24-2003 11:50 PM
Re: Formatting string in WHERE clause Lee Simpson ASP .Net 0 07-18-2003 04:21 PM
Code formatting rules in editor thaneesh ASP .Net 0 07-02-2003 09:04 AM

Advertisments