Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > font style

font style

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed). com>
derrick <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
> but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
> as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.

install the font on her pc and in addition don't forget what i said in
alt.html.tags

--
b r u c i e

derrick

i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
please help

The Doormouse

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (derrick) wrote:

> i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
> but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
> as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
> please help

What sort of help would you like?

The Doormouse

Neal

On 3 Jul 2004 22:06:37 -0700, derrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
> but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
> as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
> please help

The font doesn't travel with your page. You suggest to the browser that
this is the font you want to use, and if it's there the browser uses it.
If it doesn't, it goes to a default.

Don't use the font tag to do this - that way, you get one font choice or
nothing. With a CSS font-family declaration, you can list as many fonts as
you like. The browser starts at the top of the list and takes the first
one it can find. You can even give as the last one serif or sans-serif and
if it gets to that the browser chooses a default according to your wishes.

I've simplified a bit. It gets much more complicated, but that's the gist
of it.

derrick

i tried uploading the font style but it wouldnt let me is there a way
to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
an image

rf

derrick wrote

> i tried uploading the font style

I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

> but it wouldnt let me

What "wouldn't let" you?

> is there a way
> to let other pepoles computers reconize this font without puting it as
> an image

Easy answer: no.

Hard answer: yes,
google for font embedding but you really don't want to do this. You first of
all must have permission from the creator of the font. Then you have to do
stuff to embed the font into your web page and *then* your viewer must be
using a browser that supports all of this.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, dutch85
@hotmail.com says...
> i downloaded a font and tried to put it on my page
> but when i tried going to my page on my moms computer the text came up
> as defult text cause she dosnt have the font style on her pc.
> please help

The key part is "I downloaded a font" Your mom did not, nor has most
of your other visitors. For a font to display THEY must download it
too.
--
WebcastMaker
The easiest and most affordable way

Hywel

In article <BaRFc.77874$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf
says...
> derrick wrote
>
> > i tried uploading the font style

> I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.
>
> > but it wouldnt let me

> What "wouldn't let" you?

"It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

Blinky the Shark

Hywel wrote:

> In article <BaRFc.77874$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf
> says...

>> derrick wrote

>> > i tried uploading the font style

>> I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

>> > but it wouldnt let me

>> What "wouldn't let" you?

> "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

I'll bet it's "they" who have all of the Any keys.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Blinky the
Shark says...
> Hywel wrote:
>
> > In article <BaRFc.77874$(E-Mail Removed)>, rf
> > says...

> >> derrick wrote

> >> I assume you mean the .ttf file. Well, this is not going to help at all.

> >> What "wouldn't let" you?

> > "It". It's similar to "they" but there's only one of "them".

> I'll bet it's "they" who have all of the Any keys.

Now you mention it, I do believe you're correct. Damn them Any key
thieves. Damn them all to a MS FrontPage seminar.