Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > select multiple

select multiple

Jeff Thies

I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.

I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.

If I do this:

<select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
<option selected value="eenie">eenie</option>
<option value="meenie">meenie</option>
<option value="minie">minie</option>
<option value="moe">moe</option>
</select>

I get an already open rolldown.

Downside is that you can select multiples (of course) and unused
scrollbars appear in some browsers.

Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

Jeff

Hywel

In article <97BFc.24041$(E-Mail Removed) .net>, Jeff
Thies says...
> I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
>
> I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
>
> If I do this:
>
> <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
> Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
> select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
opening <select>?

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

Jeff Thies

"Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <97BFc.24041$(E-Mail Removed) .net>, Jeff
> Thies says...
> > I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
> >
> > I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
> >
> > If I do this:
> >
> > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
> > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
> > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

> Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
> opening <select>?

Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

Jeff

> --
> Hywel
>
> Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
> http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
> > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
> > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

> Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
> opening <select>?

ya think....
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Whitecrest

In article <lNBFc.24055$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
> > opening <select>?

> Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

HEY! There are no stupid questions, only stupid... well, actually
that was pretty stupid.....
--
WebcastMaker
The easiest and most affordable way

Hywel

In article <lNBFc.24055$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
Jeff Thies says...

> "Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> > In article <97BFc.24041$(E-Mail Removed) .net>, Jeff
> > Thies says...
> > > I'd like to present a list of options, with all options being visible.
> > >
> > > I could use readio buttons, but I'm thinking about selects.
> > >
> > > If I do this:
> > >
> > > <select name="list_name" size="6" multiple>
> > > Is there a way to get the look of the multiple with onle being able to
> > > select single values (and perhaps, no scrollbars)?

> > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
> > opening <select>?

> Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
"wood" and "trees" spring to mind.

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
> in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
> "wood"...

that just sounds dirty....
--
WebcastMaker
The easiest and most affordable way
to create webcasts.
www.webentations.com

Jeff Thies

<snip>

> > > Did you think of trying it without the "multiple" attribute in the
> > > opening <select>?

> > Of course not! If I had I wouldn't have asked such a dumb question!

> Well, I suppose someone has to state the obvious, which is easy to spot
> in someone else's code, of course. When you're looking at your own,
> "wood" and "trees" spring to mind.

Thanks are still in order!

I was using CGI.pm to generate a scrolling_list and I hadn't really looked
at it when I pasted the output over.

I'm toying with this bit of javascript to simulate the selection in radio
groups:

Does no harm if no javascript.

Cheers,
Jeff