Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > SSI and SEO

Reply
Thread Tools

SSI and SEO

 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Lois wrote:

>: > "Blinky the Shark" wrote: : Yes, NOSPAM is more common. And thus
>probably already typically removed : by spammerware.


> Spammerware might remove .invalid too. That's one reason why nothing
> can be


Third time, now: that won't make my address work.

> specified as "the" way to mung an address. IMO, you should either mung
> it creatively and clearly (e.g. with instructions on how to unmung it
> in the sig line), or use a real address and deal with spam at the
> receiving end. Or use an autoresponder that directs people to a
> contact form. (This method works when you can't mung the address,
> don't trust spam blockers, and need to be able to receive HTML email.)


This all assumes one wants Usenet activity to generate email. I, like
many, don't.

>: I think the metric should be behavior. F'r'ex: I use proper sig :
>delimiters; I use reasonable line widths; I don't remove the ">" quote
>: indicators like I see occasional numbnutzes <g> doing; a attribute; I
>: don't use a client or server that butchers the References header, :
>breaking threading; and to move away from the purely techincal, I don't
>: morph to stay out of kill filters; I don't use the other identity in
>: groups where I'm Blinky (i.e., no sock puppetry); and while I don't :
>broadcast my email address willy nilly on Usenet, I'm here every day :
>(mostly a lurker and learner) with one identity and am in that manner :
>responsible *to* the group *in* the group. I think those are the kinds
>: of things that matter -- not the identity one chooses to use.


> That all sounds good to me. (":" works as a quote indicator too.) It's
> good


It's nonstandard and some clients don't pick it up as a quote indicator,
so it breaks their different-colorization of the distinctive levels of
quoting. IOW, it's not a good idea in the context of the Usenet
community, the same way broken sig delimiters aren't community friendly.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:
Linux In 20 Steps: (at Blinkynet) http://snipurl.com/7amq
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
AyntRyte wrote:

> For the past three years or so, I've been encoding almost everything
> including the mailto part.


> Instead <a href="(E-Mail Removed)">email</a> I would use:


><a href="mailto:wh
> o@what.com">E
> mail</a>


I did that until I read somewhere - possibly in here or in aww - that
some harvestors were decoding.

> So far: zilch. (so far)


--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:
Linux In 20 Steps: (at Blinkynet) http://snipurl.com/7amq
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Big Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:11:42 +0200, Michael Fesser <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> .oO(Lois)
>
>>brucie wrote:
>>: invalid means just that - invalid - so there no point in trying to send
>>: email to an .invalid address.
>>
>>There's no point in trying to send email to an address with "NOSPAM" in it
>>either, but people do anyway. They often don't look at the address itself.

>
>In contrast to .invalid addresses many "nospam" addresses _are_ valid.
>I don't have the time nor the wish to figure it out. If the mail bounces
>I simply take that as a "don't harass me". No personal offense, it's
>just my opinion.
>
>>My point was that your unmunging other people's addresses serves no purpose
>>except to entertain those who like to laugh at other people's expense, it
>>takes longer than it would to unmung it to email the person, and it ruins
>>the address as a spam-free one.

>
>A mail-address is ruined in the moment it is posted to usenet. The
>format or "encryption" doesn't really matter, in most cases all you need
>is a simple regex to get it, shouldn't be too difficult for harvester
>developers. The same goes for "encoded" addresses on websites, it's the
>same useless crap.
>
>Micha


What's a regex please?

Even simpler BB
 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed) >
Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> What's a regex please?


regular expressions. some of the most common are "****", "****" and the
one i hear most regularly "no ****ing way you freak"

http://www.regular-expressions.info/

--
b r u c i e


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> [Colons as a quoting character are] nonstandard and some clients don't
> pick it up as a quote indicator, so it breaks their
> different-colorization of the distinctive levels of quoting.


Then those clients are dumb. Both colon and pipe are commonly used quoting
characters.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I did that until I read somewhere - possibly in here or in aww - that
> some harvestors were decoding.


Well, then double-encode.

A simple, one-character example:

<a href="x">

when using URL-style encoding is the same as:

<a href="%78">

and then using SGML entities (some in decimal, some in hex):

<a href="%&#x37;&#x38;">

Besides which, in my experience single-encoding remains an effective
anti-spam tool.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> [Colons as a quoting character are] nonstandard and some clients don't
>> pick it up as a quote indicator, so it breaks their
>> different-colorization of the distinctive levels of quoting.

>
>Then those clients are dumb. Both colon and pipe are commonly used quoting
>characters.


But it makes sense not to use them, I removed them from my reader's
"quote char" config because it results in false quote marking for
example whenever there is a colon at the start of a line.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Toby A Inkster wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:


>> I did that until I read somewhere - possibly in here or in aww - that
>> some harvestors were decoding.


> Well, then double-encode.


I replaced that with a form.

> A simple, one-character example:


> <a href="x">


> when using URL-style encoding is the same as:


> <a href="%78">


> and then using SGML entities (some in decimal, some in hex):


> <a href="%&#x37;&#x38;">


I may have done that, between single encoding and installing the form.

Don't remember for sure; I was aware of it, but may not have used it
between the other two methods.

> Besides which, in my experience single-encoding remains an effective
> anti-spam tool.


--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:
Linux In 20 Steps: (at Blinkynet) http://snipurl.com/7amq
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Toby A Inkster wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:


>> [Colons as a quoting character are] nonstandard and some clients don't
>> pick it up as a quote indicator, so it breaks their
>> different-colorization of the distinctive levels of quoting.


> Then those clients are dumb. Both colon and pipe are commonly used quoting
> characters.


Of the three discussed, I believe ">" is the RFC-compliant one.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:
Linux In 20 Steps: (at Blinkynet) http://snipurl.com/7amq
 
Reply With Quote
 
Webcastmaker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
In article <16u8fggexwfe2$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> > What's a regex please?

> regular expressions. some of the most common are "****", "****" and the
> one i hear most regularly "no ****ing way you freak"


I usually hear "god it's huge", "I'm cumming", and "do me again with
that monster"

Then someone will wake me up...
--
WebcastMaker
The easiest and most affordable way to create
Web casts, or put presentations on the Web.
www.webentations.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seo Elite: New Seo Software Rune HTML 1 11-14-2007 10:30 AM
Google Seo Optimization Software - Seo Optimizer - Search Engine CONsulting software britneysspears@gmail.com Computer Support 1 05-13-2007 06:55 PM
Google Seo Optimization Software - Seo Optimizer - Search Engine CONsulting software britneysspears@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 05-13-2007 05:25 PM
Re: SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Seo Consulting Alvin Bruney [MVP] Python 19 05-09-2007 07:03 AM
Re: SEO - Search Engine Optimization - Seo Consulting Alvin Bruney [MVP] ASP .Net 17 05-01-2007 09:08 PM



Advertisments