Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > dissapering text in div tag problem

Reply
Thread Tools

dissapering text in div tag problem

 
 
Michael Hughes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
Hi,

I'm develping this page:-

http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10

And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?

Thanks

Michael Hughes.
----------------
www.mfhughes.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SpaceGirl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
Michael Hughes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm develping this page:-
>
> http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10
>
> And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
> the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
> in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Hughes.
> ----------------
> www.mfhughes.com


It's your imagination. IE is perfect. At least according to one of the
forums I'm in, IE has no bugs, and all other browsers are crap. Oh yes
they are.

*rolls her eyes*

Looking at ur page now...

--


x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
# remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Deryck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004

"Michael Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm develping this page:-
>
> http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10
>
> And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
> the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
> in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?
>
>


I'm not sure that I see what you describe but when I resize in IE I can lose
part, then all, of the smaller text next to badger-logo. This can affect the
main text above it if I resize enough. Is it a consequence of the float of
the margin style settings for the logo?

Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
Deryck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004

"Michael Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm develping this page:-
>
> http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10
>
> And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
> the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
> in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?
>

Probably not relevant but you have:

<p><p>Badgers are one of our more secretive mammals making them all the more
fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes to our countryside
have forced more badgers to seek food and shelter within our gardens.Worms
are their food of choice and the supply (or otherwise) of these plays a big
part in a badger colony's decision to set up home somewhere. If you want to
encourage them into your garden, feeding them our specially formulated
supplement will help in areas where worm numbers are insufficient.Try to
feed every night near the badger's sett or at their normal foraging area,
though try not to overfeed as leftover food will go off quickly and can also
give away the location of the sett.</p>
<p>Please remember that although watching badgers can be extremely
enjoyable, it is a criminal offence to disturb badgers or to damage, destroy
or obstruct their setts.</p>

In the code (<p><p>)


Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004

"Michael Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I'm develping this page:-
>
> http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10
>
> And sometimes in IE, (esp if you roll over the navigation)
> the main pragraph of text (about badgers) disppears, but only
> in IE. It's well annoying, does anyone out there know why?


This is a known bug, part of the malformed float hanling in IE.

But, I can't remember the solution. We hashed this out quite well here about
a couple of years ago, check groups.google. IIRC somebody also pasted
something into http://allmyfaqs.com

--
Cheers
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
Deryck wrote

> Probably not relevant but you have:
>
> <p><p>Badgers are one of our more secretive mammals making them all the

more
> fascinating to study. As with many other mammals, changes to our

countryside
> have forced more badgers to seek food and shelter within our gardens.Worms
> are their food of choice and the supply (or otherwise) of these plays a

big
> part in a badger colony's decision to set up home somewhere. If you want

to
> encourage them into your garden, feeding them our specially formulated
> supplement will help in areas where worm numbers are insufficient.Try to
> feed every night near the badger's sett or at their normal foraging area,
> though try not to overfeed as leftover food will go off quickly and can

also
> give away the location of the sett.</p>
> <p>Please remember that although watching badgers can be extremely
> enjoyable, it is a criminal offence to disturb badgers or to damage,

destroy
> or obstruct their setts.</p>
>
> In the code (<p><p>)
>
>
> Deryck


er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?

We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
optional.

--
Cheers
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Deryck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rWSEc.73826$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

>
> er, and what is your point in quoting all of that?
>


None really, with hindsight I would have included less of the HTML.

> We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
> specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
> optional.
>

Thank you. I guess I learnt something then.

Cheers,


Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael Hughes) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...

> I'm develping this page:-
> http://www.arrowservice.co.uk/dev/sh...p?cID=8&sub=10



What part of "Run it through a validator before posting" are you
failing to understand ?


--
No. Go away.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Deryck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rWSEc.73826$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
> specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element is
> optional.
>

Then am I misunderstanding the (35th of 114) errors thrown up by the
validator? The DOCTYPE for this page is XHTML 1.0 Transitional BTW, not HTML
(sorry, misread the post first time I replied to it).

Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mitja
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-01-2004
Deryck <(E-Mail Removed)>
(news:(E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rWSEc.73826$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> We are dealing with HTML here and <p><p> is quite legal as the
>> specifications state that the closing tag for the paragraph element
>> is optional.
>>

> Then am I misunderstanding the (35th of 114) errors thrown up by the
> validator? The DOCTYPE for this page is XHTML 1.0 Transitional BTW,
> not HTML (sorry, misread the post first time I replied to it).


35th error at the time of this writing is "reference not terminated by REFC
delimiter" and refers to an unescaped amperstand in an URL.
Things must have changed since your last post, but I'm pretty sure you were
right. Richard must have assumed HTML 4.01 (same as I did, initially) -
under XHTML, closing the tags, even <p>, is a must-do.

> Deryck



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<div ... /> and <div ...></div> K Viltersten ASP .Net 4 03-31-2009 07:33 PM
Select text within a div tag by clicking on content of div tag or a button? visu Javascript 4 11-22-2006 06:25 AM
how do u invoke Tag b's Tag Handler from within Tag a's tag Handler? shruds Java 1 01-27-2006 03:00 AM
How to get the text in html tag.like<div...><font...>Text</font></ =?Utf-8?B?Tmlja3k=?= ASP .Net 2 02-20-2005 03:03 PM
Select text within a div tag by clicking on content of div tag? M Wells Javascript 0 10-06-2004 11:04 AM



Advertisments