Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Massive printing file size when using background-image

Massive printing file size when using background-image

Antonis Mitsopoulos

Hi there, I've got the following problem when trying to print a web page in
Internet Explorer:

I found out that when I'm using a "background-image" property in my Body tag
I get an
extremely big printing file size. If I take this background-image off, my
page appears in my printer's queue
about 60KB but when I'm adding this (which is just 1KB), it gets more than
1MB.
The .gif file I'm using for the background is less than 1KB.

e.g.

Thanks a lot

Neal

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:12:23 +0300, Antonis Mitsopoulos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi there, I've got the following problem when trying to print a web page
> in
> Internet Explorer:
>
> I found out that when I'm using a "background-image" property in my Body
> tag
> I get an
> extremely big printing file size. If I take this background-image off, my
> page appears in my printer's queue
> about 60KB but when I'm adding this (which is just 1KB), it gets more
> than
> 1MB.
> The .gif file I'm using for the background is less than 1KB.
>
> e.g.
>

> Thanks a lot

@media print {background-image:none}">

Not tested, not sure it would work, but logically it would apply the style
only to screen and not to print.

Toby A Inkster

Antonis Mitsopoulos wrote:

> If I take this background-image off, my
> page appears in my printer's queue
> about 60KB but when I'm adding this (which is just 1KB), it gets more than
> 1MB.

Your background image is tiled. When it's sent to the printer, it's sent
lots of times because of the tiling.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

C A Upsdell

"Antonis Mitsopoulos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbuopp$2sr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there, I've got the following problem when trying to print a web page

in
> Internet Explorer:
>
> I found out that when I'm using a "background-image" property in my Body

tag
> I get an
> extremely big printing file size. If I take this background-image off, my
> page appears in my printer's queue
> about 60KB but when I'm adding this (which is just 1KB), it gets more than
> 1MB.
> The .gif file I'm using for the background is less than 1KB.
>
> e.g.

You may want to add some CSS to make your site printer-friendly. E.g., in
one of my sites I use:

@media print
{ a, a:link, a:visited, a:active, a:hover { color:#003; }
html,body,a,div,button,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6, i.note,p,td,td ul,li {
font-family:'Times New Roman', Times, serif; }
html, body { margin:0; background-color:#fff; background-image:none;
border:1px solid black; }
ul { list-style-image:none; }
}

Here I make all links the same colour, all text in a serif font, and
unwanted backgrounds removed.