Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > text closing up on saving

text closing up on saving

Peter

Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?

I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages, to
link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all of
these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but the
same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure that
the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.

TIA

Peter

NWhite

"Peter" <peter @thecopshop.co.uk> wrote in message
news:HCWBc.19050$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
>
> I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
> have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages,

> link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
> cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
> space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
> hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
> letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

of
> these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
> browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
> between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
> specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
> replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

the
> same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

that
> the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.
>
> TIA Peter

In HTML code, spaces you leave between characters for display will
"collapse" unless you put them inside <pre></pre> tags. Don't do this. In
your HTML code "&nbsp" will produce one space for display, "&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"
will produce three. These will not collapse. Do not do this either.

Using a table is arguably ok for a table of products. Put each letter in a
table cell. Learn how to control the width of cells either through CSS,
preferably, or through the HTML cellpadding/cellspacing attributes to the

Hope this helps.
NWhite.

David Christopher Weichert

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:38:12 +0100 Peter posted:

> Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
>
> I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
> have used many times before.

Netscape 4.x is seriously outdated. Also the Composer. Download Mozilla
(http://www.mozilla.org) and use it's Composer instead. Netscape 4.x will
not produce HTML (only some kind of HTMLish Tagsoup, that may or may not
work in some browsers). With Mozilla you at least have a chance to produce
HTML conforming to standards.

Kind regards
David

rf

"Peter" <peter @thecopshop.co.uk> wrote in message
news:HCWBc.19050$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
>
> I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer,

Oh, my.

> which I
> have used many times before.

Find something better... Notepad?

> I am trying to create a set of index pages, to
> link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
> cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
> space between each adjacent pair of characters.

Hmmm. Spaces (whitespace) collapse to one "space".

> Each character is a
> hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
> letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

of
> these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
> browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
> between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
> specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
> replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

the
> same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

that
> the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.

It's time for a URL.

--
Cheers
Richard.

SpaceGirl

"Peter" <peter @thecopshop.co.uk> wrote in message
news:HCWBc.19050$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
>
> I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
> have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages,

> link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In one
> cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
> space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
> hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
> letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With all

of
> these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
> browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
> between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
> specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have tried
> replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

the
> same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

that
> the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

Upgrade for god sake... a fraction of 1% of people use NS4x now, so you
can hardly expect anyone to support it. Dont suppose you are using Windows
95 too?

Peter

Windows?
What is wrong with DOS?
I have Netscape6 but prefer the composer module in 4 - just personal
preference and familiarity!!

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter" <peter @thecopshop.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:HCWBc.19050$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Can anyone offer a relative novice any advice on this problem?
> >
> > I am creating a number of web-pages using Netscape 4.7 composer, which I
> > have used many times before. I am trying to create a set of index pages,

> > link to items for sale on other pages. I am working within a table. In

one
> > cell I created an alphabetical list from A to Z, all on one line, with a
> > space between each adjacent pair of characters. Each character is a
> > hyperlink to another page which lists all the items beginning with that
> > letter. Every one of these pages has the same alphabetical list. With

all
> of
> > these pages, once saved if I open it either in "composer" or in a web
> > browser, some of the spaces have disappeared, such that there is no gap
> > between the adjacent linked characters. The number of "spaces" and the
> > specific ones that get deleted seems to be totally variable. I have

tried
> > replacing the spaces and deleting the "link" created in that space, but

> the
> > same thing happens again. I have also used an html editor to make sure

> that
> > the spaces are all intact, but the same thing still happens.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Peter

> Upgrade for god sake... a fraction of 1% of people use NS4x now, so you
> can hardly expect anyone to support it. Dont suppose you are using Windows
> 95 too?

David Christopher Weichert

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:04:32 +0100 Peter posted:

> Windows?
> What is wrong with DOS?
> I have Netscape6 but prefer the composer module in 4 - just personal
> preference and familiarity!!

Give us a URL with your NS4 code and we'll tell you what's wrong with it.
Seriously, NS4 will most likely produce Tagsoup - not HTML. If your
audience is the Web, you should use a product that complies with standards.

Kind regards
David

Mitja

(news:JLYBc.19099$(E-Mail Removed)9.net) wrote:
> Windows?
> What is wrong with DOS?

It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.

SpaceGirl

"Mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0EZBc.5498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter <peter @thecopshop.co.uk>
> (news:JLYBc.19099$(E-Mail Removed)9.net) wrote:
> > Windows?
> > What is wrong with DOS?

> It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.

I'd be lost in an OS that took under 5 minutes to start. When else would I
get chance to make coffee and exchange gossip in the canteen?

Neal

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:05:56 +0200, Mitja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Peter <peter @thecopshop.co.uk>
> (news:JLYBc.19099$(E-Mail Removed)9.net) wrote:
>> Windows?
>> What is wrong with DOS?

> It doesn't do the Welcome Sound when booting.

You're supposed to sing that part.

"Doo.. deedle-ling! Ding ding, ding..."