Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How many browsers on one computer?

How many browsers on one computer?

John Brandt

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

jeb

rf

<John Brandt> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
> also have a copy of Opera.
>
> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
>
> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
> the same computer?

No.

--
Cheers
Richard.

Neal

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:57:02 -0400, John Brandt <unknown> wrote:

> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
> also have a copy of Opera.
>
> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
>
> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
> the same computer?
>
> jeb

Basically, no. Unless you are installing a browser which would overwrite
the other. But even that can be done. Ex. Stand-alone IE5+ browsers - see
http://www.insert-title.com/web_desi...s/dev/multi_IE

C A Upsdell

<John Brandt> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
> also have a copy of Opera.
>
> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
>
> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
> the same computer?

I think that each must have its own profile.

Toby A Inkster

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/polonius

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Augustus

<John Brandt> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
> also have a copy of Opera.
>
> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
>
> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
> the same computer?

with different browsers it would be "no"

I heard some people have had problems installing older versions of IE that
conflicted with recent versions of IE

SpaceGirl

<John Brandt> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
> also have a copy of Opera.
>
> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
>
> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
> the same computer?
>
> jeb

I have AvantBrowser, IE 6, IE 5.5, IE 5.0, Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 0.9 and
Opera 7.51 installed on here. They all co-exist perfectly. I use
AvantBrowser as my primary browser (it's a wrapper for IE6).

http://www.mozilla.org (Mozilla and FireFox can be found here)
http://www.opera.com
http://www.avantbrowser.com
http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/ (all old versions of IE)

Steve Pugh

John Brandt <> wrote:

>Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
>browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
>currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
>also have a copy of Opera.
>
>Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

I have the following on my pc:
IE5, IE5.5, IE6, Netscape 4.8, Netscape 6.2, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla
1.6, FireFox 0.8, Opera 5.12, Opera 6.06, Opera 7.23, Opera 7.51, Lynx
2.8, MSN TV Viewer 2.8, MultiWeb 2.08
And I've got install files for lots of older versions as well.

I regard testing in the three IEs, a recent Gecko and the latest Opera
as the bare minimum (plus getting it tested in Mac IE 5 and Safari). I
don't expect it to look anything close to identical in all browsers
but I do expect it to be usable. Most sites (rather than all
individual pages) are tested in a wider range.

I also use Opera a lot for testing as the ability to rapidly toggle
images/css/javascript/frames/plugins/etc. on and off is very useful.
Lynx will tell me what it's like with them all off, but what's it like
with some of them off and some of them on?

>Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
>the same computer?

Installing multiple IE's is a bit tricky, but once it's working it
seems to stay working, see
http://www.insert-title.com/web_desi...s/dev/multi_IE

I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
install side by side without problem but their desire to share
profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.

Steve

SpaceGirl

<snip>

> I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
> install side by side without problem but their desire to share
> profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.
>
> Steve

....plus they love the heat and curl up around your monitor. Before you know
it you have lots of baby Geckos.

Els

Steve Pugh wrote:

> I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's -
> they install side by side without problem but their desire
> to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration
> problems.

I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I have
no problems, I just use seperate profiles.
NS7.1 and Moz 1.4 share the same 'profile list', so I gave
'default' to 7.1, and made one extra with the name Mozilla, to
not get confused. I did the same with Firefox and Firebird.
These two don't seem to have any files in common with NS and Moz
though.

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/