Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Word and Excel in HTML

Word and Excel in HTML

Keith

Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page as a
plugin?

Just like I can with PDF files.

So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
opens it within IE without any prompts.

Neal

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:02:32 +0100, Keith <@.> wrote:

> Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page as a
> plugin?
>
> Just like I can with PDF files.
>
> So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
> opens it within IE without any prompts.

Just link to the file. If their browser is so configured and they have the
necessary software, it should automatically open the file in the correct
program.

Todd Shillam

Keith wrote:
> Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page
> as a plugin?
>
> Just like I can with PDF files.
>
> So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site,
> it opens it within IE without any prompts.

Keith,

Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a link within your code
accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word
Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com

Deryck

> Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a

link within your code
> accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could

launch the HTML Word
> Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
mark-up?

Deryck

SpaceGirl

"Deryck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a

> link within your code
> > accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you

could
> launch the HTML Word
> > Document in a blank window too--just a thought.
> >

> Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
> mark-up?
>
> Deryck

You could always pass it through DreamWeaver's Word cleanup tool. Or better
still, just save the documents as PDF.

Todd Shillam

Deryck wrote:
>> Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then
>> create a link within your code accordingly? Seems like it would be
>> much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word Document
>> in a blank window too--just a thought.
>>

> Wouldnt that produce a very large amount of superfluous and convoluted
> mark-up?

Deryck,

Yes--you are correct; however, it was only a suggestion in terms of feasibility. I leave the choice
for such a circumstance at the person's discretion. However, it is a possibility. Meanwhile,
SpaceGirl (in another post) suggested using Dreamweaver's Word tool--that looks like a pretty good
idea.

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com

Kris

In article <JLCBc.18230$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>, "Keith" <@.>
wrote:

> Is there a way of adding a Word or Excel document to a HTML/ASP page as a
> plugin?
>
> Just like I can with PDF files.
>
> So when a user clicks on a link to a Word/Excel document on my site, it
> opens it within IE without any prompts.

Not to put you down but
a) I don't use IE (and the one you mean, I don't even have; I am on a
Mac)
b) I don't have Word. How can I open your file?

I'd say PDF or RTF is a much better choice. At least I can open that.
About how the file gets processed after download, the best thing you can
do is providing the correct MIME type for the files (ask your server
admin). What happens after that is beyond your control, but most of the
time something will happen that the visitor wants. If that is not
enough, you can write up some instructions with it that will be helpful
forever to those who need them.

Goodluck.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Why don't you just save the Word Document as an HTML file, then create a link within your code
> accordingly? Seems like it would be much easier; not to mention, you could launch the HTML Word
> Document in a blank window too--just a thought.

Your being facetious right?

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Toby A Inkster

Deryck wrote:

> Wouldnt [saving a Word document as HTML] produce a very large amount of
> superfluous and convoluted mark-up?

Yes, but a Word-produced HTML file is better than a Word-produced DOC file.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Keith

I think I will go the PDF route - no hassles that way.

Thanks

news:JLCBc.18230$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...