Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How do I create this image?

How do I create this image?

mcp6453

How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?

http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif

It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
(for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

SpaceGirl

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
>
> http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
>
> It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

But useless if the user has images turned off... not as if you can represent
the text as an alt tag as it's defeat the purpose. I'd suggest providing a
form instead - if you are that concerned about harvesting. We did this a
while back after we started to sink under the weight of spam. Now our
commercial email addresses are totally masked online.

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mcp6453 says...
> How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
>
> http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif

How do you create other graphics?

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

mcp6453 wrote:

> How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
>
> http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
>
> It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
bots will see this.

anyway, use Windows Paint.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T3jBc.147$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mcp6453 wrote:
>
> > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
> >
> > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
> >
> > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

> yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
> bots will see this.

Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
see. Clicking on it does nothing.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Managed, Dedicated & Colo Servers

Dave Patton

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
>
> http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
>
> It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

The above example isn't useful, because they put the email address
in the image's alt text, therefore it can be harvested.

If you look at our Contact Us page:
http://www.confluence.org/contact.php
and have Javascript enabled, you'll get mailto links. If Javascript
is disabled, you get the addresses as images. Either way, the email
addresses can't easily be harvested from the webpage. It's done
using a combination of server-side scripting(PHP) and Javascript,
and PHP uses the GD library to generate the images.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/

mcp6453

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

> "Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:T3jBc.147$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > mcp6453 wrote:
> >
> > > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
> > >
> > > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
> > >
> > > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> > > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> > > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> > > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> > > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

> > yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
> > bots will see this.

> Unless they've changed it since you posted...its not a link, as far as I can
> see. Clicking on it does nothing.

Yeah, I just noticed it myself. Since the underlying HTML would have to
include an <a href> with a textual mailto, it appears that using a
graphic instead of clear text doesn't accomplish anything.

I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

Psyonicdreams

"Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T3jBc.147$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mcp6453 wrote:
>
> > How can I create a graphic like the one at this page?
> >
> > http://home.nc.rr.com/mybackpage/email.gif
> >
> > It is an email address that is graphic instead of clear text, thereby
> > avoiding harvesting by robots. This one is the cleanest ones I've seen.
> > The text is exactly the same size and font used on the page at
> > http://www.soundnails.com/en_support.htm. At first glance, it is hard
> > (for me) to tell that the text is actually a graphic.

> yes but it's pointless. clicking on it u see its just a <a> link. the
> bots will see this.

Then make it so they can't read it:

spexdesign.co.uk">dean
@aspexdesign.co.uk
</a>

Try adding that to a page (and fixing the word wrap!) and you
will see what looks like pefectly normal link to my email address,
but bots won't be able to read it.

Just replace the letters with the codes for the letters. i.e.

a = a
b = b
c = c
e = d
f = e
etc. etc.

Plus there are codes for the special characters such as:

@ = @

Hope that helps

--
Dean / Psyonic
www.aspexdesign.co.uk Free graphics files and more

tlshell@concentric.net

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:27:55 GMT, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> took
a very strange rock and inscribed these words:

>I was able to make these in Paint Shop Pro and in Paint. Duh. I remember
>trying to do this once before and not having any success. That's
>probably why I'm not a graphics designer!

Maybe Photoshop would work better for you as you can use layers. (I
don't know, maybe Paint Shop Pro has layers now???) If you use a new
layer for the text, then you can do it over and over again by deleting
the botched layers and starting over just for that part without
affecting the rest of your graphic layout.

Graphic design, for me, is like learning to rollerskate. To succeed,
you have to keep getting back up and trying again until you get it
right.

(*However* -- back when I was learning to rollerskate, I had a lot
more time to devote to it.)

Therese Shellabarger - Civis Mundi - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
- Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun

Dylan Parry

Psyonicdreams wrote:

> Then make it so they can't read it:

> spexdesign.co.uk">dean
> @aspexdesign.co.uk
> </a>

Any Spambot worth its bytes will almost certainly have routine to replace
the above codes with the associated characters.

--
Dylan Parry