Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Web Editors

Web Editors

Nowhere

What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
Notepad do?

Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
domain ?

Thank you.

---

Whitecrest

In article <ca4pmp$np1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
> What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
> Notepad do?

Best for money editor has to be topstyle. Best free one has to be HTML-
Kit (YMMV)

> Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
> domain ?

Depends on if you want to pay for it or not. Search google for Web
hosts and you will be rewarded with thousands of hosts.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

David Dorward

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_editors

> Or should I just use Frontpage?

Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
hands of a master.

If you really want to spend time mastering Frontpage (after mastering HTML
and CSS) then you might want to go with it. My personal preference would be
to avoid it like the plague.

> What can Notepad do?

It can let you type text in. I suggest you avoid Notepad - it can't handle
UNIX line endings (at least it couldn't last time I used it), it has a
nasty habit of appending .txt to your filename (foo.html.txt) (ditto on the
last time bit), and it doesn't have basic things like syntax highlighting.

> Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
> domain ?

Most companies that offer webhosting also offer domain name services.
http://affordablehost.com/ is supposed to be good, I haven't used them
myself.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

SpaceGirl

"Nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ca4pmp$np1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are good web editors to use? Or should I just use Frontpage? What can
> Notepad do?
>
> Once built, how and where do you upload it to? How do you get your own
> domain ?
>
> Thank you.
>

> ---

DreamWeaver MX 2004 is by far the best of all the editors out there, but
it's a fairly big package and takes a bit to get to grips with. It hand;es
all of the really complex stuff very well though - including ASP, JSP, C#
and other .NET lanuages, plus the usual suspects - HTML, XHTML, CSS and XML
+ really good Flash support, great layer handling and one of the most simple
CSS and style management things on the market. Also great at site
management, and built in FTP.

FrontPage fails on almost all of these items in one way or another, and
should be seriously avoided.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Nowhere wrote:

> What are good web editors to use?

You want to edit the web?

> Or should I just use Frontpage?

Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.

That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

> What can Notepad do?

It let's you type.

> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

Where: To web-space on the world-wide-web. Usually your ISP will have
some space available. If not, you could sign up to Geocities for free
space - www.geocities.com, although purchasing web-space will allow for
greater flexibility. www.oneandone.co.uk (European and American) will
allow you to do this. They are an excellent hosting company. I have used
them for 3 years with not a single problem.

> How do you get your own domain ?

You have to buy one. 99% of web hosting companies will offer to sell you
a domain name. www.oneandone.co.uk can do it very cheaply for you. There
are a multitute of domain sellers out there.

> Thank you.

no problem.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

David Dorward wrote:

> Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
> hands of a master.

Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)
/\//\\( `--~~ )
'\/ <^\ /^>
_\ >-__-< /_
(___\ /___)

Neal

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:09:58 +0100, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Imagine taking a very very fine razor blade and cutting your skin about
> 1mm deep, in lines verticle and horizontal, 1cm apart, to create a
> pattern like on a chess board, on yourself. All over your body.
> Especially the "naughty" bits. Now imaging a swimming pool filled with
> vinegar. Now imagine jumping in.
>
> That's what frontpage is like, except it's worse. Frontpage is like
> that, but then some bastard's taken out the climb-out ladders, and
> raised the walls by 6 feet so you can't get out. Also, Frontpage has
> some pharinas in there, along with 15 Great White Sharks, some deadly
> jelly fish, and a very loud speaker-system that plays Barry Manilow
> music which has been very badly mixed with Celine Dion.

Then there's my ex. It could be worse...

>> What can Notepad do?

> It let's you type.
>
>> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

> How: with an FTP program. I, personally, use WS_FTP. There's CuteFTP as
> well, and a million others. Search for "FTP" at www.download.com.

Crimson Editor - a very nice free text editor - has a built-in FTP.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

> David Dorward wrote:
>
>> Frontpage is, I'm told, capable of producing high quality HTML - in the
>> hands of a master.

> Not eveb MAster Yoda could create a good site using Frontpage.

Master Yoda might be able to create a good site in FrontPlague, but
only if he used the Source view exclusively. <g> Kinda like Notepad.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

David Dorward

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

>> Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

> How: with an FTP program.

Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

David Dorward wrote:
> Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
>

>>>Once built, how and where do you upload it to?

>>How: with an FTP program.

> Hopefully not. Try to find a host which provides sftp or some other form of
> upload path which doesn't involve sending passwords in clear text.

well as it happens, the people I suggested, oneandone.co.uk, actually DO
use sftp

http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/server/ro...ecurity/1.html

--

Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
_ _
/~\\ \ //~\
| \\ \ // |
[ || || ]
] Y || || Y [
| \_|l,------.l|_/ |
| >' `< |
\ (/~`--____--'~\) /
`-_>-__________-<_-'
/(_#(__)#_)\
\___/__\___/
/__`--'__\
/\(__,>-~~ __)

Any good Rich Text Editors for ASP.NET 2.0? VB Programmer ASP .Net 2 01-26-2006 03:26 PM
ASP.NET WebForm Editors! Adam Knight ASP .Net 3 07-22-2005 09:24 PM
WYSIWYG website editors for web browser Chris Hope NZ Computing 22 11-27-2004 05:04 AM
vhdl editors Salvatore Callea VHDL 6 10-07-2004 09:29 AM
XML Editors Brian Shannon ASP .Net 2 08-19-2004 12:00 AM

Advertisments