Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE 6 hanging on target="_blank"

Reply
Thread Tools

IE 6 hanging on target="_blank"

 
 
Webdesigner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
LS,

Sorry if this has been answered before.

I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.

As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something

Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.

Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Michel
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrienne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
$(E-Mail Removed):

> LS,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered before.
>
> I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
> I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
>
> As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
>
> Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
>
> Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michel


Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can affect
IE strangely.

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the group so others can share
http://www.arbpen.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mightyking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
Adrienne wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
>
>>LS,
>>
>>Sorry if this has been answered before.
>>
>>I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
>>I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
>>
>>As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
>>
>>Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
>>
>>Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
>>greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>Michel

>
>
> Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can affect
> IE strangely.
>


Thank you for replying Adrienne,

I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
tracking cookies found.
Virusscanner found nothing.

Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in IE6
Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.

Thx,
Michel
 
Reply With Quote
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2004
Mightyking wrote:
> Adrienne wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
>> $(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>
>>> LS,
>>>
>>> Sorry if this has been answered before.
>>>
>>> I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute
>>> everytime I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
>>>
>>> As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
>>>
>>> Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
>>>
>>> Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would
>>> be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Michel

>>
>>
>>
>> Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can
>> affect IE strangely.
>>

>
> Thank you for replying Adrienne,
>
> I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
> tracking cookies found.
> Virusscanner found nothing.
>
> Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in IE6
> Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.
>
> Thx,
> Michel


More advise? Okay. Here goes:

> LS,
>
> Sorry if this has been answered before.
>


If you suspect that your question may have been answered before, then
why not search by yourself - without any hidden shame - for the given
answers? Maybe there is a reason as to why there are FAQs around and why
google.com archives newsgroup discussions, you know.. Maybe - just a
thought here - searching at msdn

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...node_entry.asp

on the target attribute and related issues could be helpful.

> I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
> I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
>


No code provided. No url provided. Not much specifics, concrete. There
is not much to go on here.
A link could have a target="_blank" attribute and have an
over-excessively, extensively coded onclick event handler too, you see.

> As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
>


Even on that, you don't seem so sure of yourself here. Again, no
specifics and you're the one bringing up this pop-up blocker issue.

> Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
>
> Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> Michel


Here's a modest suggestion: before asking for solution, maybe just start
by writing an helpful summary of the problem with relevant details,
along with specific elements which *_you know_* would be useful or
helpful into finding and establishing what would be the problem.
If you believe that not providing an url nor providing sufficient chunks
of relevant code will help readers of your post, then please do NOT give
an url and do NOT write any code. Do not post something that you know
won't nor wouldn't help your pursued post purposes.

Glad I could help

DU

 
Reply With Quote
 
Webdesigner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
DU wrote:
> Mightyking wrote:
>
>> Adrienne wrote:
>>
>>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Webdesigner
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:40c1b8bf$0$1951
>>> $(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>>
>>>> LS,
>>>>
>>>> Sorry if this has been answered before.
>>>>
>>>> I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute
>>>> everytime I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
>>>>
>>>> As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
>>>>
>>>> Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
>>>>
>>>> Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution,
>>>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards,
>>>> Michel
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Did you run a virus scan and a spyware scan? Sometimes spyware can
>>> affect IE strangely.
>>>

>>
>> Thank you for replying Adrienne,
>>
>> I have run the latest Ad-Aware version, as usual only a couple of
>> tracking cookies found.
>> Virusscanner found nothing.
>>
>> Does this mean I am the first one with a built-in pop-up blocker in
>> IE6 Anyway, this is kinda annoying. More advise would be welcome.
>>
>> Thx,
>> Michel

>
>
> More advise? Okay. Here goes:
>
> > LS,
> >
> > Sorry if this has been answered before.
> >

>
> If you suspect that your question may have been answered before, then
> why not search by yourself - without any hidden shame - for the given
> answers?


Well quite simple, I did search, and yes I have tried google

Maybe there is a reason as to why there are FAQs around and why
> google.com archives newsgroup discussions, you know.. Maybe - just a
> thought here - searching at msdn
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...node_entry.asp


Great, but I am not looking for a (d)html tutorial. I am aware how to
make valid xhtml pages, it's just that one of my browsers seems to have
a problem interpreting everything that points to target=_blank.

>
>
> on the target attribute and related issues could be helpful.
>
> > I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a minute everytime
> > I click a link containing the target="_blank" value.
> >

>
> No code provided. No url provided. Not much specifics, concrete. There
> is not much to go on here.
> A link could have a target="_blank" attribute and have an
> over-excessively, extensively coded onclick event handler too, you see.


As I said: <quote>I have a problem with IE 6 that is hanging for about a
minute everytime I click a link containing the target="_blank"
value.</quote>

To make this more visible to you: this means ALL anchors opening in a
new window.

>
> > As far as I know I have no pop-up blocker installed or something
> >

>
> Even on that, you don't seem so sure of yourself here. Again, no
> specifics and you're the one bringing up this pop-up blocker issue.


Well I am not able to answer what the hell Microsoft, or for that matter
any other company, whose software I'm using, is putting on my
computer, since I'm not looking at each source code, even if available.
I doubt you know every ins-and-outs of what is on your computer. And
even if you did Microsoft Windows, and that includes Internet Explorer,
is still closed software.

>
> > Mozilla 1.7 is working fine with the same links.
> >
> > Any Ideas, what the problems might be, and a possible solution, would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Michel

>
> Here's a modest suggestion: before asking for solution, maybe just start
> by writing an helpful summary of the problem with relevant details,
> along with specific elements which *_you know_* would be useful or
> helpful into finding and establishing what would be the problem.
> If you believe that not providing an url nor providing sufficient chunks
> of relevant code will help readers of your post, then please do NOT give
> an url and do NOT write any code. Do not post something that you know
> won't nor wouldn't help your pursued post purposes.


I have provided all the information I know. I am not using windows
computers on a daily basis, and I like to keep it that way. The reason I
am using Internet Explorer sometimes, is just that I like to view my
website creations, the same way as the majority of my website visitors do.

Now the reason I posted in alt.html is because I suspect that besides
html knowledge there is also alot of knowledge about the browser itself.
>
> Glad I could help
>
> DU
>


I am disappointed that I have received a mild flame, from you, for what
I think seems a valid question. I believe that's what a newsgroup is
for, isn't it?

Nevertheless thank you for your time.
Michel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whitecrest
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
In article <40c3015b$0$1957$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I am disappointed that I have received a mild flame, from you, for what
> I think seems a valid question. I believe that's what a newsgroup is
> for, isn't it?


Actually, no, it is not here for a help forum, but you can usually find
help. You just have to separate the chaff from the seed that's all.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FF 1.5 hanging Steve IA Firefox 2 12-21-2005 05:00 PM
Slow Hanging Network Windows XP =?Utf-8?B?cmFuZHk=?= Wireless Networking 7 06-24-2005 01:44 AM
Pages 'hanging' problem... Martin D. Pay Firefox 4 02-25-2004 09:06 AM
IPC::Run and hanging pipes Brian Hann Perl 1 12-11-2003 08:41 PM
Hanging VPN sessions - HELP Nick Gorham Cisco 0 07-22-2003 02:18 PM



Advertisments