Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Nested lists

Nested lists

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hi,
I am trying to create nested lists.
I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
which would include three ordered lists.
It does not seem to work though.
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/...jungskile.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:7U%vc.1192$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am trying to create nested lists.
> I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
> In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
> which would include three ordered lists.
> It does not seem to work though.

Sorry, I forgot to write the URL of the page with these lists.
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test.html

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/...jungskile.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

Els

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
> In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal list
> which would include three ordered lists.
> It does not seem to work though.

Like this?
http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3 paragraphs.
> > In order to do that, I thought I might write an unordered horizontal

list
> > which would include three ordered lists.
> > It does not seem to work though.

> Like this?
> http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
on the left,
goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
the right.
That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/...jungskile.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

Mitja

(news:ia3wc.94608$(E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to have an ordered list which is divided in 3
>>> paragraphs. In order to do that, I thought I might write an
>>> unordered horizontal list which would include three ordered lists.
>>> It does not seem to work though.

>> Like this?
>> http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

> Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
> column on the left,
> goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
> column on the right.
> That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
> numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
> should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third
> column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the last item
> of the list.

Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
(maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use server
side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Hv4wc.4370$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (news:ia3wc.94608$(E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Like this?
> >> http://locusmeus.com/temp/nestedlist.html

> > Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
> > column on the left,
> > goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
> > column on the right.
> > That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
> > numbers progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column
> > should begin with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third
> > column should begin with number 21 and finishing with the last item
> > of the list.

> Like the columns in MS Word, then. No way you can do this with CSS
> (maintaining fixed height and making colums wrap automatically.) Use

server
> side scripting or manual editing to split the list as needed.

Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list should
begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for the third?
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

Neal

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:14:24 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Cannot I use nested lists and change the number by which each list should
> begin, setting 1 for the first, 11 for the second and 21 for the third?

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html#adef-start

The start attribute is deprecated in HTML4.01 strict, valid in
transitional and 3.2.

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first column
: on the left,
: goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third column on
: the right.
: That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with numbers
: progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should begin
: with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should begin
: with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.

Tables. That's what it's for.

Sid

Neal

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:05:47 +0200, Sid Ismail <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
> column
> : on the left,
> : goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
> column on
> : the right.
> : That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
> numbers
> : progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should
> begin
> : with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should
> begin
> : with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.
>

> Tables. That's what it's for.

Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
is fine.

But I disagree that a table works like that.

1 6 11
2 7 12
3 8 13
4 9 14
5 10 15

This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
- each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:05:47 +0200, Sid Ismail <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:27:26 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > : Well, actually, it should be the same list which begins in the first
> > column
> > : on the left,
> > : goes in the second column in the middle and finishes in the third
> > column on
> > : the right.
> > : That means that if the elements in the first column are ordered with
> > numbers
> > : progressing from 1 to 10, for example, so the second column should
> > begin
> > : with number 11 and going on till number 20 and the third column should
> > begin
> > : with number 21 and finishing with the last item of the list.
> >

> > Tables. That's what it's for.

> Doesn't address the numbering, however. Unless you manually number, which
> is fine.
>
> But I disagree that a table works like that.
>
> 1 6 11
> 2 7 12
> 3 8 13
> 4 9 14
> 5 10 15
>
> This doesn't compare on two axes. Every table I've ever learned about has
> something in common across, and something in common down. Like a calendar
> - each column is a day of the week, each row is a particular week.

I could use one data for each article and that would be how many pieces
there are of such an article.
Some articles are also defined according to the colour, so I could use the
colour for some.
However, the number of articles is very long and that is why I was thinking
of a list.
Another alternative would be to have an unordered horizontal list like this
one:
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test2.html

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

List of lists of lists of lists... =?UTF-8?B?w4FuZ2VsIEd1dGnDqXJyZXogUm9kcsOtZ3Vleg==?= Python 5 05-15-2006 11:47 AM
lists of lists Jon Slaughter C++ 4 12-13-2004 06:28 PM
Lists of Lists VWWall Computer Information 2 10-21-2004 01:15 AM
Counter for items in lists in lists? Charlotte Henkle Python 8 09-26-2004 04:22 AM
Sorting lists of lists... JustSomeGuy C++ 0 06-17-2004 05:44 PM

Advertisments