Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > setting permissions

setting permissions

TisMe

I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
What permission are they suppose to be?
What boxs under read write execute etc should be
checked in order for them to show up?

Mark Parnell

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
> for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.

Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?

As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

TisMe

:
:: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
:: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
:
: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
:
: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.

http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

--
DEFINITION: Computer - A device created to speed up errors.

rf

"TisMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news4Qvc.36987$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> Mark Parnell wrote:
> : On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
> : declared in alt.html:
> :
> :: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
> :: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
> :
> : Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
> :
> : As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
>
> The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
>

> http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
> http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg

Should this not be
http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg

BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.

Cheers
Richard.

:: Mark Parnell wrote:
::: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
::: declared in alt.html:
:::
:::: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
:::: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
:::
::: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
:::
::: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
::
:: The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
::
::
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
:
: Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:
: Should this not be
: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:
: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
:
: Cheers
: Richard.
..

OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes* One question though... How do I
apply compression?

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:17:35 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
> http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

Works fine here, but I'm assuming you have fixed them since Richard's
post.

I agree with Richard about the file size, though - takes a good 5-10
seconds to download each one here, and I'm on broadband.

You might want to check your spelling/grammar too (e.g. "the very fist
window").

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:44:46 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> One question though... How do I apply compression?

With your favourite graphics program. The details depend on the software
in question.

--

Mark Parnell wrote:
: On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:17:35 GMT, TisMe <(E-Mail Removed)>
: declared in alt.html:
:
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
:
: Works fine here, but I'm assuming you have fixed them since Richard's
: post.
:
: I agree with Richard about the file size, though - takes a good 5-10
: seconds to download each one here, and I'm on broadband.
:
: You might want to check your spelling/grammar too (e.g. "the very fist
: window").

Thanks guys! I corrected the spelling error. Yes I did correct the links
before you got there.
I forgot I had changed domains. Ok so how do I do the file compression?

rf

"TisMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iuQvc.37012$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> rf wrote:
> : "TisMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news4Qvc.36987$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...

> : http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
> :
> : BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.

> OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes*

Happens . That is why you always supply a URL when posting a question.

> One question though... How do I
> apply compression?

The image editor you used to create the jpeg will have an option to apply
compression.

<steals image to play />

What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

I dumped it into my image editor and saved it without compression and it
turned out to be 41K. At 50% compression, 12K with not many visible
artifacts.

Hmmm... I saved it as a bmp. The bmp is 185K. Hmmm again. Did you simply
save this as a bmp and then rename it to .jpg? I did so and, guess what? the
browser displays it.

Looks hard... right click>save as wants to save it as a bmp. You *did* save
it as a bmp and rename it, didn't you That is not how it's done, you
need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for you.
When dumped into paint it saved at 14K.

This, however, this is a picture of text. jpeg is a lossy format,
compressing text tends to make text blurry and unreadable. You might be
better off saving it as a gif, which uses a non-lossy compression. I did
this with your image and the gif is 5K, a bit less than your 185K

Cheers
Richard.

Neal

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:11:15 GMT, rf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> you
> need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for
> you.

W98 Paint will as well.