Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS Overflow property

CSS Overflow property

longroad

Im using the overflow:auto property in my css
my question is, when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise
this scrollbar?
I know this can be done when using a textarea, but Im using a normal
paragraph and the overflow:auto is generating a scrollbar when the content
exceeds the length of the content area.
So can you change the colours of this scrollbar?

Neal

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:03:40 +1000, longroad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So can you change the colours of this scrollbar?

Not with proper CSS.

Mark Parnell

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:03:40 +1000, "longroad" <(E-Mail Removed)> declared
in alt.html:

> my question is, when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise
> this scrollbar?

No. Scrollbars are part of the OS, not your web site.

> I know this can be done when using a textarea

Not on my browser.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

brucie

in post: <news:40bd6dbb$0$13784$(E-Mail Removed). au>
longroad <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

> when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise this
> scrollbar?

a scrollbar needs to look like a scrollbar so it can be instantly
recognized and used if needed. you don't and cant know what the visitors
scrollbars should look like. don't screw around with them.

> I know this can be done when using a textarea,

not with my browsers.

--
b r u c i e

longroad

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

> after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

I didnt want my entire site stretching with content. What reasons do you
have against not using it?
Im not having a problem with it in netscape/mozilla, but it was working in
IE and netscape before..

> > when it generates a scrollbar, is it possible to customise this
> > scrollbar?

> a scrollbar needs to look like a scrollbar so it can be instantly
> recognized and used if needed. you don't and cant know what the visitors
> scrollbars should look like. don't screw around with them.

when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what you can do
with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more clear

brucie

in post: <news:40bd945b$0$3037$(E-Mail Removed) u>
longroad <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Im using the overflow:auto property in my css

>> after careful consideration of whether you should or not i'm sure.

> I didnt want my entire site stretching with content.

that may not be such a good idea

> What reasons do you have against not using it?

its a case by case basis. the browser already has two scrollbars built
in when you add more you make the site more difficult to use and usually
its a poor design decision which wastes the visitors canvas area.

> when I said customise I only meant change its colour,

ok, just don't use #FEEDF0, #EFEBE2, #D6F5D8 or #F5D6E0 or the scrollbar
will be invisible with my browsers. you'll have to check with everyone
else to see what colors they don't want you to use.

--
b r u c i e

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven longroad:

> when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what
> you can do with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more
> clear

My eyes/brain are geared for grey scrollbars. If you change it to
puce, I'll never see it. And don't forget there are colorblind people
reading the www, who may have custom colors set for their GUI.

Aside: overflow: auto won't work in some browsers.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Toby A Inkster

longroad wrote:

> when I said customise I only meant change its colour, as in what you can do
> with textarea scrollbar. i should have made that more clear

Making it transparent would be really stupid.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Mabden

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote in message
news:1k87rtdgp7dxa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> in post: <news:40bd945b$0$3037$(E-Mail Removed) u>
> longroad <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> > when I said customise I only meant change its colour,

> ok, just don't use #FEEDF0, #EFEBE2, #D6F5D8 or #F5D6E0 or the scrollbar
> will be invisible with my browsers. you'll have to check with everyone
> else to see what colors they don't want you to use.

I don't like hot pink or baby-**** brown. Or taupe. I really don't know what
taupe is, but I don't the sound of it...

--
Mabden