Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Page width

Page width

Bob Wilcox

Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

Matthias Gutfeldt

Bob Wilcox schrieb:

> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
> or a dynamically resizable page?

Both, of course . Or have you ever seen designers agree on anything?

There are good theoretical and practical reasons for both fixed-width
and for flexible/fluid design; which one you use should depend on the
site specifications, not some abstract "ideology". I have used both
solutions with good results.

Matthias

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
Bob Wilcox <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
> or a dynamically resizable page?

who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

--
b r u c i e

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
> or a dynamically resizable page?

Dynamic resizable would be best, but it totally depends on the site.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Deirdre Saoirse Moen

brucie <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> wrote:
> who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
> visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
> layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
> adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
> skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.

Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
a fixed layout.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up

Whitecrest

says...
> Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
> site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
> Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
> a fixed layout.

I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of ****
turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
Deirdre Saoirse Moen <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
> site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
> Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
> a fixed layout.

last year when i was looking for a new truck all i could find on any
vehicle site was glitzy marketing **** that took forever to download, no
actual real information about a vehicle.

when i sent off my details for more info all i was sent was the same
glitzy marketing **** printed on paper.

--
b r u c i e

Daniel R. Tobias

"Bob Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
> or a dynamically resizable page?

By "page designer", do you mean Internet developers with a technical
clue, or the typical people actually seen designing Web pages, who
tend to be technically clueless and proud of it, and unshakeably
wedded to a control-freakish graphical mindset? Your answer will
differ greatly depending on which group you ask.

--
Dan

Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Whitecrest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> says...
>> Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
>> site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
>> Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
>> a fixed layout.

> I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
> turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
> gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of ****
> turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.

Oh, it's *pretty*.

But for people who, like me, have corneal scratches as a regular part of
their lives, it's just too small and too light. I also prefer floating
layouts, but I'm not a hardass about it.

Now that I don't have to look at it 8/5, I like it better.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
and up and up, but with lots of little dips downwards...."
-- Wen Spencer on plotting a novel

Barefoot Kid

"Bob Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800

pixels,
> or a dynamically resizable page?

don't really mind either way, but some designs r impossible to do fluid
--
Hung Diep
http://www.intro-spect.co.uk