Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Whats the maximum number of pixels tall and wide in a browser?

Whats the maximum number of pixels tall and wide in a browser?

Matt

In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
and the maximum width in terms of pixels?

For example, when we declare the frame

<frameset cols="200,*">
<frame src="frame1.html">
<frame src="frame2.html">
</frameset>

Or we should use percentage instead??

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> and the maximum width in terms of pixels?
> For example, when we declare the frame
> <frameset cols="200,*">
> <frame src="frame1.html">
> <frame src="frame2.html">
> </frameset>
> Or we should use percentage instead??

Man, you probably have no idea how many nerves you just struck with this
questions.

First, do you really need a frame set? Probably not. But lets assume
you are one of the cases that does. You should use percentage when ever
possible. This allows your page to be a little more flexible. If your
design does not work well flexible, then by all means use a fixed width.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

SpaceGirl

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> and the maximum width in terms of pixels?
>
> For example, when we declare the frame
>
> <frameset cols="200,*">
> <frame src="frame1.html">
> <frame src="frame2.html">
> </frameset>
>
> Or we should use percentage instead??

Percentage would be better - there is no limit. Example, if a user is
running at 800 x 600, then the max useable space is around 750 x 550. But if
that same user changes resolution to 1600 x 1200 then you can use 1550 x
1150. Double the space.

You should also avoid frames unless you really *have* to use them, as they
screw up bookmarking and wont do you any favours if you want to appear on
search engines.

David Dorward

Matt wrote:

> In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> and the maximum width in terms of pixels?

_a_ browser? Unlimited.
A specific user's browser? Variable.

Eugh. http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/

> Or we should use percentage instead??

The appropriate unit depends upon the circumstances. Sometimes percentages
are best, sometimes units related to the font size (like em), and
occasionally pixels. (Of course, only pixels and percentages can be used in
HTML, for other units you need CSS, which can't be applied to framesets)

David Dorward

SpaceGirl wrote:

> Percentage would be better - there is no limit. Example, if a user is
> running at 800 x 600, then the max useable space is around 750 x 550. But
> if that same user changes resolution to 1600 x 1200 then you can use 1550
> x 1150.

If you make the *assumption* that the user browses with their windows
maximised.

> Double the space.

Four times

The Doormouse

(E-Mail Removed) (Matt) wrote:

> In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> and the maximum width in terms of pixels?

800x600 =)

The Doormouse

SpaceGirl

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c8aupt$t2t$3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SpaceGirl wrote:
>
> > Percentage would be better - there is no limit. Example, if a user is
> > running at 800 x 600, then the max useable space is around 750 x 550.

But
> > if that same user changes resolution to 1600 x 1200 then you can use

1550
> > x 1150.

> If you make the *assumption* that the user browses with their windows
> maximised.
>
> > Double the space.

> Four times

Read what I wrote again. "...then the max usable space is around..." That
naturally assumes the user has maximised their display, yes? Stop being so
bloody picky anyway

Leif K-Brooks

Matt wrote:
> In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> and the maximum width in terms of pixels?

inf by inf.

David Ryan

Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > In a browser, what is the maximum height in terms of pixels,
> > and the maximum width in terms of pixels?

> inf by inf.

Surely it's 4294967296 by 4294967296 on current Windows PCs and Macs?

Mabden

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c8aupt$t2t$3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > SpaceGirl wrote:
> >
> > > Percentage would be better - there is no limit. Example, if a user is
> > > running at 800 x 600, then the max useable space is around 750 x 550.
> > > But if that same user changes resolution to 1600 x 1200 then
> > > you can use 1550 x 1150.

> > If you make the *assumption* that the user browses with their windows
> > maximised.
> >
> > > Double the space.

> > Four times
> >

> Read what I wrote again. "...then the max usable space is around..." That
> naturally assumes the user has maximised their display, yes? Stop being so
> bloody picky anyway

And if the user has two or more monitors, the width may be much more. Or the
height if they stack them...

I have 2048 x 768 maximum (go ahead and *assume* I maximize it), although it
is slightly less since I can't "maximize" my browser with out it filling
only one monitor, so I have to drag the window to almost maximized.

--
Mabden