Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > first attempt at webpage

first attempt at webpage

The White Lady

I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
address to view the page I get a message saying

Sorry, there is no index for this site
This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
index.html)

I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
something else I haven't done.

Augustus

"The White Lady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
> address to view the page I get a message saying
>
> Sorry, there is no index for this site
> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
> index.html)
>
> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
> something else I haven't done.

If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
www.mysite.com
www.mysite.com/info
and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
default page
example of the above URLs with a page:
www.mysite.com/hello.html
www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm

Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered

So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
change links that point to it)

The White Lady

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:26:18 -0700, "Augustus"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
>www.mysite.com
>www.mysite.com/info
>and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
>default page
>example of the above URLs with a page:
>www.mysite.com/hello.html
>www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm
>
>Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered
>
>So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
>change links that point to it)

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
same error.

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, The White Lady
says...
> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
> address to view the page I get a message saying
>
> Sorry, there is no index for this site
> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
> index.html)
>
> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
> something else I haven't done.

Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Matt Probert

On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:57:01 +0100 The White Lady <(E-Mail Removed)>
broke off from drinking a cup of tea at to write:

>On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:26:18 -0700, "Augustus"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If you type in just a URL (with or without a path) like:
>>www.mysite.com
>>www.mysite.com/info
>>and do not specify a page to view... then the web server will provide its
>>default page
>>example of the above URLs with a page:
>>www.mysite.com/hello.html
>>www.mysite.com/info/mypage.htm
>>
>>Most servers have index.html set as the default page if none is entered
>>
>>So you will need to rename your "home" (or start) page to index.html (and
>>change links that point to it)

>I'm sorry I don't know what you mean - rename my address, the page or
>the file its saved as? I've tried renaming the page itself and get the
>same error.

Rename the file (perhaps using 'Save As....') to "index.html" and then
FTP it to your web space (or 'publish' it to your web space).

Matt

--
Free searchable encyclopaedia content for your web site:
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/xsearch.htm

Neal

On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, The White Lady
> says...
>> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
>> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
>> address to view the page I get a message saying
>>
>> Sorry, there is no index for this site
>> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
>> index.html)
>>
>> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
>> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
>> something else I haven't done.

> Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.

If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neal says...
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, The White Lady
> > says...
> >> I've just been following a beginners guide to writing your first
> >> webpage and everything seems to have gone correctly. When I type in my
> >> address to view the page I get a message saying
> >>
> >> Sorry, there is no index for this site
> >> This user has not yet uploaded their index file. (index.htm or
> >> index.html)
> >>
> >> I can't see anything about index files in the guide or in my isp help
> >> and don't know if this means the page hasn't uploaded or if theres
> >> something else I haven't done.

> > Rename the first page of your web site index.htm and upload it again.
> >

> If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
> index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
know the order in which the document index files will be searched
without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
root?

I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
less than this chain as the document index:
index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml

Any of those would do.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Neal

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:25:47 +0100, Hywel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neal says...
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:20:23 +0100, Hywel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> If the server has index.html pre-installed, it will take precedence over
>> index.htm. Use index.html as the name of the file.

> If that's the case then what you say is absurd. How can you possibly
> know the order in which the document index files will be searched
> without seeing the configuration for either the server or the OP's web
> root?
>
> I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
> less than this chain as the document index:
> index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml
>
> Any of those would do.

Yes it depends on how the server orders things. However, I have not seen a
system which weights .htm over .html - perhaps my observations are not
typical.

It remains that we are both wrong - he must check to see what is the
preferred filename for his server and use that, whether it's .htm or .html.

Neal

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:25:47 +0100, Hywel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think it highly unlikely that a host these days would have anything
> less than this chain as the document index:
> index.htm index.html index.php index.php3. index.php4 index.phtml
>
> Any of those would do.

Just checked the FAQ of a host I do a site on.

"Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:

index.html
index.htm
index.pl
index.cgi
index.shtml
index.php
default.html
default.htm

These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
than one file with any of these names."

Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
documentation before you know for sure.

The White Lady

On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:37:39 -0400, Neal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Make sure that your first page (homepage) is named:
>
>index.html
>index.htm
>index.pl
>index.cgi
>index.shtml
>index.php
>default.html
>default.htm
>
>These file names are listed in the order they will appear if you have more
>than one file with any of these names."
>
>Now, I think it's a splendid host, but it shows that you have to check the
>documentation before you know for sure.

I've tried index.html and index.htm but am still getting the same
error