Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Overlapping Divisions with CSS

Overlapping Divisions with CSS

Dennis Marks

I have a page that has a division with three buttons. Immediately below
it are three divisions that occupy the same positions. Two are hidden
and one is visible. They are switched between with the buttons. This
all works fine.

My question is. I am using "left: 0px; top: 45px;" on all 3 to put them
in the same positions. The problem is that if the page is made narrower
the buttons occupy move space making it's division taller which
overlaps the 3 divisions. It there a way to make the 3 divisions move
up and down with the size of the button division.

If I leave out "top" they do not overlap.

You can see the page at my site. Just select Amtrak Train Routes.

--
Dennis Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:48:15 -0700, Dennis Marks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You can see the page at my site. Just select Amtrak Train Routes.

I can't find the page in question? And I'm not sure what the question is.

Richard

"Dennis Marks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:120520041548150365%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a page that has a division with three buttons. Immediately below
> it are three divisions that occupy the same positions. Two are hidden
> and one is visible. They are switched between with the buttons. This
> all works fine.
>
> My question is. I am using "left: 0px; top: 45px;" on all 3 to put them
> in the same positions. The problem is that if the page is made narrower
> the buttons occupy move space making it's division taller which
> overlaps the 3 divisions. It there a way to make the 3 divisions move
> up and down with the size of the button division.
>
> If I leave out "top" they do not overlap.
>
> You can see the page at my site. Just select Amtrak Train Routes.

Learn how to apply z-index.
Multiple divisions occupy the same physical space.
Instead of opening a new page for a small change, z-index allows the swap to
be made on the same page.
Somewhat similar to an image swap.

Dennis Marks

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <Anonymous@127.001>
wrote:

> "Dennis Marks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:120520041548150365%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a page that has a division with three buttons. Immediately below
> > it are three divisions that occupy the same positions. Two are hidden
> > and one is visible. They are switched between with the buttons. This
> > all works fine.
> >
> > My question is. I am using "left: 0px; top: 45px;" on all 3 to put them
> > in the same positions. The problem is that if the page is made narrower
> > the buttons occupy move space making it's division taller which
> > overlaps the 3 divisions. It there a way to make the 3 divisions move
> > up and down with the size of the button division.
> >
> > If I leave out "top" they do not overlap.
> >
> > You can see the page at my site. Just select Amtrak Train Routes.
> >

> Learn how to apply z-index.
> Multiple divisions occupy the same physical space.
> Instead of opening a new page for a small change, z-index allows the swap to
> be made on the same page.
> Somewhat similar to an image swap.

As I have said the division swap works. What I want to know is if there
is a way to have multiple divisions occupying the same space without
using an absolute position with left and top (which is what I do). I
would like all three divisions to move as a unit when divisions above
push them down.

--
Dennis Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
To reply change none to dcsi.

Mitja

Dennis Marks <(E-Mail Removed)>
(news:130520040651411568%(E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
> <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
>
>> "Dennis Marks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:120520041548150365%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a page that has a division with three buttons. Immediately
>>> below it are three divisions that occupy the same positions. Two
>>> are hidden and one is visible. They are switched between with the
>>> buttons. This all works fine.
>>>
>>> My question is. I am using "left: 0px; top: 45px;" on all 3 to put
>>> them in the same positions. The problem is that if the page is made
>>> narrower the buttons occupy move space making it's division taller
>>> which overlaps the 3 divisions. It there a way to make the 3
>>> divisions move up and down with the size of the button division.
>>>
>>> If I leave out "top" they do not overlap.
>>>
>>> You can see the page at my site. Just select Amtrak Train Routes.
>>>

>> Learn how to apply z-index.
>> Multiple divisions occupy the same physical space.
>> Instead of opening a new page for a small change, z-index allows the
>> swap to be made on the same page.
>> Somewhat similar to an image swap.
>>

> As I have said the division swap works. What I want to know is if
> there is a way to have multiple divisions occupying the same space
> without using an absolute position with left and top (which is what I
> do). I would like all three divisions to move as a unit when
> divisions above push them down.

Not that I know.
Try doing it like this: the DIV to be displayed has display:block set, the
other two display:none. This way, they won't be even hidden - they simply
won't be there, neither to see, nor to take up space.