Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Coloring input type=file browse button; uploading multiple files

Coloring input type=file browse button; uploading multiple files

Jeff Thies

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
> > _and_ happens to use a browser that supports a suitable
> > version of a scripting language

> ... and happens to support the non standard DOM extension innerHTML.

Not in the DOM standards, but what does not use it? Opera, Netscape, Safari
all support it and have for years. Certainly easier and faster than adding
sundry nodes, after all, parsing HTML is what browsers are all about.

I really doubt that innerHTML is going away.

Jeff

> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

Toby A Inkster

Jeff Thies wrote:

> "Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>> ... and happens to support the non standard DOM extension innerHTML.

> Not in the DOM standards, but what does not use it? Opera, Netscape, Safari
> all support it and have for years.

Opera certainly hasn't "for years" -- it was only added in v7.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Jeff Thies

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jeff Thies wrote:
>
> > "Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> >> ... and happens to support the non standard DOM extension innerHTML.

> > Not in the DOM standards, but what does not use it? Opera, Netscape,

Safari
> > all support it and have for years.

> Opera certainly hasn't "for years" -- it was only added in v7.

I don't know much about Opera history. As I see it DOM manipulation methods
worked poorly until version 7 (or at least late versions). I thought Opera 6
could read innerHTML. Frankly, I'm pleased with Opera 7's DOM support.

Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

> I don't know much about Opera history. As I see it DOM manipulation methods
> worked poorly until version 7 (or at least late versions). I thought Opera 6
> could read innerHTML. Frankly, I'm pleased with Opera 7's DOM support.

Opera 6 (and indeed Opera 5) supported a great deal of the DOM, but as it
couldn't dynamically reflow a page, many DOM tricks didn't work. (Although
the scripts themselves would complete without error, the effect wouldn't
be seen by the visitor.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Ron Brennan

I noted your comments, and appreciated those that were helpful. Having said
that, I don't think it is particular profiitable to continue a discussion
about how to conduct a discussion.

Ron Brennan

Well, thanks for the discussion. I am making some progress with the
multiple upload, but am coming to the conclusion that it's not possible (at
least for me) to have that browse button (or surragote) styled.

Disco Octopus

Ron Brennan wrote:
> Well, thanks for the discussion. I am making some progress with the
> multiple upload, but am coming to the conclusion that it's not
> possible (at least for me) to have that browse button (or surragote)
> styled.

regarding multi files....
.....and after a wasted (experimental) hour on testing this (since you
brought it up, and i didnt feel like working for the moment) i got this to
work nicely.....

START PHP CODE.....
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function addafile(){
vp = document.getElementById("poobear");
vp.innerHTML += "<p><input name=\"eeyore[]\"
type=\"file\"></p>";
}
</script>
</head>
<form name="theform" method="post" action="d.php"
enctype="multipart/form-data">
value="add another file"></p>
</form>
<?php
foreach ($_FILES as $key1 => $value1) {
echo "\$_FILES[$key1] = $value1<br>\n";
foreach ($value1 as $key2 => $value2) {
echo "\$_FILES[$key1][$key2] = $value2<br>\n";
foreach($value2 as $key3 => $value3) {
echo "\$_FILES[$key1][$key2][$key3] = $value3<br>\n";
}
}
}
?>

END PHP CODE.....

Ron Brennan

> regarding multi files....
> ....and after a wasted (experimental) hour on testing this (since you
> brought it up, and i didnt feel like working for the moment) i got this to
> work nicely.....

I just saw it and have to go to bed now, so haven't tested it in my setup.
But thank you for all the effort...which I feel a bit guilty about.