Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > FTP to AOL ... ??

FTP to AOL ... ??

Gus

I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )

I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.

The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work like my
little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on the
ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?

Thanks for the help .......

Toby A Inkster

Gus wrote:

> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

It's been a very long time since I used AOL (I left it before AOL 4 came
out, and AOL 9 is the current version), but even back then they allowed
FTP, so I guess they must now. You'd be best off asking AOL's support
staff -- that's what you pay your monthly fee for, isn't it?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Arnie Goetchius

Gus wrote:
> I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
>
> I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
>
> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
>
> What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work like my
> little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on the
> ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
> the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
>
> Thanks for the help .......

I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:

Host Name: = members.aol.com
Userid: = anonymous
Password: = screenname
Remote Site Folder: = screenname

where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
work.

Gus

>(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>Gus wrote:
>> I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
>>
>> I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
>>
>> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
>> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
>>
>> What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

>like my
>> little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on

>the
>> ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

>drop
>> the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
>>
>> Thanks for the help .......

>I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
>
>Host Name: = members.aol.com
>Userid: = anonymous
>Password: = screenname
>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
>
>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
>
>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
>work.

Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Gus

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ent (Gus)
>Date: 5/12/04 8:36 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
>>
>>Gus wrote:
>>> I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
>>>
>>> I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
>>>
>>> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making

>typing
>>> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
>>>
>>> What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

>>like my
>>> little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page

>on
>>the
>>> ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

>>drop
>>> the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help .......

>>I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
>>
>>Host Name: = members.aol.com
>>Userid: = anonymous
>>Password: = screenname
>>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
>>
>>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
>>
>>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
>>work.
>>

>Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I
>get
>a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Niow, when I try to upload a jpg it claims an 550 error and says that oniy
"incoming: directories are guest writable.

????????????????

Arnie Goetchius

Gus wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
>>
>>Gus wrote:
>>
>>>I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
>>>
>>>I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
>>>
>>>The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
>>>errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
>>>
>>>What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

>>like my
>>
>>>little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on

>>the
>>
>>>ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

>>drop
>>
>>>the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
>>>
>>>Thanks for the help .......

>>I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
>>
>>Host Name: = members.aol.com
>>Userid: = anonymous
>>Password: = screenname
>>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
>>
>>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
>>
>>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
>>work.
>>

> Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
> a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Sorry but I gave you some wrong information.

In password, enter "(E-Mail Removed)" without the quotes.

Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In password, enter "(E-Mail Removed)" without the quotes.

Do you mean username?

Gus

>as Spaghetti)" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 5/12/04 9:07 PM Central Daylight Time
>
>On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In password, enter "(E-Mail Removed)" without the quotes.

>Do you mean username?

Yepper, what I'm doing...

I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
several, get the 550 error...

??????????????

mscir

Gus wrote:

>>as Spaghetti)" (E-Mail Removed)
>>Date: 5/12/04 9:07 PM Central Daylight Time
>>
>>On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>In password, enter "(E-Mail Removed)" without the quotes.

>>Do you mean username?
>>

> Yepper, what I'm doing...
>
> I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
> several, get the 550 error...
>
> ??????????????

http://aolsvc.help.search.aol.com/in...ry=ftp&x=0&y=0

Toby A Inkster

Gus wrote:
> Foofy wrote:
>> Arnie Goetchius wrote:
>>
>>> In password, enter "(E-Mail Removed)" without the quotes.

>> Do you mean username?

> Yepper, what I'm doing...

Well you shouldn't be. He did mean password. User name should be
"anonymous". Password should be your e-mail address.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS