Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Can I squeeze this down any more please?

Can I squeeze this down any more please?

Big Bill

This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
wants it thinner. Not a problem if we put the form code outside the
table cell but then it breaks validation-type rules. Anyone got any
ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

summary="audioprocessor">
goes here</td>
class="price">&pound; 0000.00</div></td>
Stock</td>
href="http://www.xe.obvious/" target="_blank">Convert this
amount</a></td>
action="http://cold-fusionlinkgoeshere/cf/add.cfm">
<input type="hidden" name="userid" value="00000000">
<input type="hidden" name="product" value="name of unit goes here
too">
<input type="hidden" name="price" value="0000.00">
<input type="hidden" name="return"
value="www.oursite/pageyouwereshoppingon.com/pages/audioprocessors.htm">
<input type="hidden" name="units" value="3.00">
<input type="hidden" name="qty" value="1">
<input type="submit" name="Submit" class="buynow" value="BUY
NOW"></form></td>

See what I mean?

BB

Karl Groves

"Big Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
> wants it thinner.

Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.

And for you:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/

-Karl

Steve Pugh

Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
>wants it thinner.

Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

>Not a problem if we put the form code outside the table cell

Depending on where you move it to that can remove some vertical space
but it won't remove any horizontal space (forms have default non-zero
top/bottom margins not left/right margins) and won't reduce the amount
of code used, so I don't see how it can make the page 'thinner' in
either sense.

>but then it breaks validation-type rules.

Not if you put it outside the entire table:
<form>
</form>

>Anyone got any
>ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

If some or all of the values of the hidden fields are constant then
they can be moved to the server and incorporated into the form
handler.

>summary="audioprocessor">

If you want the page thinner in terms of pixels then change 650 to a
smaller number. If you want the page thinner in terms of bytes then
get rid of all those attributes and use CSS instead.

The summary is intended to be read out by speaking browsers, etc. so
it should be ordinary prose, not some meaningless run-together label
like audioprocessor.

>goes here</td>
>class="price">&pound; 0000.00</div></td>
>Stock</td>
>href="http://www.xe.obvious/" target="_blank">Convert this
>amount</a></td>
>action="http://cold-fusionlinkgoeshere/cf/add.cfm">
> <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="00000000">
> <input type="hidden" name="product" value="name of unit goes here
>too">
> <input type="hidden" name="price" value="0000.00">
> <input type="hidden" name="return"
>value="www.oursite/pageyouwereshoppingon.com/pages/audioprocessors.htm">
> <input type="hidden" name="units" value="3.00">
> <input type="hidden" name="qty" value="1">
> <input type="submit" name="Submit" class="buynow" value="BUY
>NOW"></form></td>
>
>See what I mean?

Not really.

Steve

Whitecrest

In article <c7frpl$mef$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
> > wants it thinner.

> Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.
> And for you:
> http://www.w3schools.com/html/

I bet your are a ball to be around at the office.... ( * )

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Big Bill

On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:29:15 +0100, Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
>>wants it thinner.

>Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

>>Not a problem if we put the form code outside the table cell

>Depending on where you move it to that can remove some vertical space
>but it won't remove any horizontal space (forms have default non-zero
>top/bottom margins not left/right margins) and won't reduce the amount
>of code used, so I don't see how it can make the page 'thinner' in
>either sense.
>
>>but then it breaks validation-type rules.

>Not if you put it outside the entire table:
><form>
></form>

I'm thinking that that would only work if there were only one item per
table. I was thinking along those lines at one time. I can't remember
what turned me off the idea. Maybe I should think some more.

>>Anyone got any
>>ideas what we can do to maybe externalise the form code or summat?

>If some or all of the values of the hidden fields are constant then
>they can be moved to the server and incorporated into the form
>handler.

Ah. Now this is more like it. The only constant, though, would seem to
be the userid. Mind, it's a step in the right direction, thanks.

>>summary="audioprocessor">

>If you want the page thinner in terms of pixels then change 650 to a
>smaller number. If you want the page thinner in terms of bytes then
>get rid of all those attributes and use CSS instead.

The designer has used a whole load of CSS. It's a bit muddled in
places though.
Okey, thanks for your help.

BB

>The summary is intended to be read out by speaking browsers, etc. so
>it should be ordinary prose, not some meaningless run-together label
>like audioprocessor.

>>goes here</td>
>>class="price">&pound; 0000.00</div></td>
>>Stock</td>
>>href="http://www.xe.obvious/" target="_blank">Convert this
>>amount</a></td>
>>action="http://cold-fusionlinkgoeshere/cf/add.cfm">
>> <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="00000000">
>> <input type="hidden" name="product" value="name of unit goes here
>>too">
>> <input type="hidden" name="price" value="0000.00">
>> <input type="hidden" name="return"
>>value="www.oursite/pageyouwereshoppingon.com/pages/audioprocessors.htm">
>> <input type="hidden" name="units" value="3.00">
>> <input type="hidden" name="qty" value="1">
>> <input type="submit" name="Submit" class="buynow" value="BUY
>>NOW"></form></td>
>>
>>See what I mean?

>Not really.
>
> Steve

Big Bill

On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:26:44 -0400, "Karl Groves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Big Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
>> wants it thinner.

>Tell them to hire someone that knows WTF they're doing.
>
>And for you:
>http://www.w3schools.com/html/
>

>-Karl

Well that was wonderfully helpful.

BB

Lauri Raittila

In article Big Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 12:29:15 +0100, Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>This is a table from an e-commerce page. It's one of many. The client
> >>wants it thinner.

> >Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

> I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
> several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
> items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

Even if this was first thing I thought when reading that taking form out
of table helped, you just didn't ask it (I just got exellent English
grades). CSS:
form {margin:0;}

[huge number of lines snipped]

I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä

Big Bill

On Fri, 7 May 2004 19:59:23 +0300, Lauri Raittila
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article Big Bill wrote:

>> >Thinner meaning less pixels? Or thinner meaning less bytes?

>> I was amiss here, I should have explained further. There are usually
>> several tables like this on a page, vertically aligned, with several
>> items in each. So it would be vertically smaller we'd be looking for.

>Even if this was first thing I thought when reading that taking form out
>of table helped, you just didn't ask it (I just got exellent English
>grades). CSS:
>form {margin:0;}

Erm,.......(idea!)

All your base are belong to us!

I thank you for your help, though I'm not sure I understand it.
I'll try to work it in.

BB