Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Background Image Size

Background Image Size

Tim Gill

What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

-TG

The Doormouse

"Tim Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote:

> What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
> background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

50k

The Doormouse

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:26:12 GMT, The Doormouse <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:
> "Tim Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote:
>
>> What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
>> background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

> 50k

Most viewers are still on dialup - your *entire page* (including media)
shouldn't even be that big.

To the OP: don't use a background image at all. Chances are it will just
make the text hard to read, and detract from your actual content. Plus
the added download time, of course.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Tim Gill

> To the OP: don't use a background image at all. Chances are it will just
> make the text hard to read, and detract from your actual content. Plus
> the added download time, of course.
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Download size is the biggest issue- the background image is behind a set of
solid-colored divs that have the actual page content on them. I know using
an image in the background can be a tricky thing to do in good taste. ;-P
-TG

Mark Parnell

On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:53:26 GMT, "Tim Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)0m>
declared in alt.html:

> Download size is the biggest issue-

Yes, though as long as the page content loads first (and is readable
without the image), it shouldn't matter _too_ much. If the image is
specified in the CSS, the content should load first (though it can't be
guaranteed).

> the background image is behind a set of
> solid-colored divs that have the actual page content on them. I know using
> an image in the background can be a tricky thing to do in good taste. ;-P

Fair enough. I'd still recommend not much more than ~15k.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Whitecrest

In article <91Dmc.5964$(E-Mail Removed)> , swinger_oo6
@h0tmail.c0m says...
> What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
> background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

If you are going to do that, then you are pretty safe using 700- 750 px.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Lauri Raittila

In article Tim Gill wrote:
> What, in your opnion, would be the maximum allowable file size for a
> background .jpg, so as not to impede most viewers?

5k. You don't need more, as background image needs to be low contrast, so
progressive encoding don't look that bad.

I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä

Tim Gill

Thanks all for the help.
Another question- what's the best way to compress a grayscale (8 bit) jpg?
New file type?

Thanks
-TG