Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is it illegal for folks to copy my web site for their own websites?

Is it illegal for folks to copy my web site for their own websites?

John D.

I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
own?

Thanks,
John D.

Excues the typoes

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

John D. wrote:

> I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
> over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
> wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
> my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
> own?
>
> Thanks,
> John D.

well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
them.

That doesnt mean that if you put "<a href="index.html">" you can sue
anyone you want who uses that, it would have to be an entire page that's
copied I think.

but to answer the direct question, if you put it on the Internet, there
is no way to stop someone from copying and pasting all your forumlas,
articles, and research to their own page and calling it their own.

Hywel Jenkins

In article <8hxlc.583$(E-Mail Removed)>, Weyoun the
Dancing Borg says...
> John D. wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
> > over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
> > wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
> > my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
> > own?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John D.

> well if you put "HTML coding copyright John D. 2004" and then you catch
> someone using the exact same coding on another site then yes you can sue
> them.

That won't indicate protection of the content, though.

Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
copyright notice.

To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
countries, to prevent others from stealing your work. If you're
determined to make it difficult for people to steal, produce it as a
protected PDF.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> That won't indicate protection of the content, though.
>

> Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
> this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
> a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
> copyright notice.

No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.

As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
solve the content problem.

> To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
> countries, to prevent others from stealing your work. If you're
> determined to make it difficult for people to steal, produce it as a
> protected PDF.

John D.

thanks group

Hywel Jenkins

In article <okylc.3804$U7.743@newsfe1-win>, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
says...
> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>

> > That won't indicate protection of the content, though.
> >

> > Copyright is implied as soon as your work is published. For example,
> > this message is copyright Hywel Jenkins. Just because I've posted it to
> > a public forum doesn't reduce my copyright. There's no need to add a
> > copyright notice.

> No of course, however adding a copyright notice does deter some people.
>
> As for copyrighting the content, no you do not need to write copyright,
> but if you do write "all content on this site as well as propriety HTML,
> JavaScript (whatever) coding is copyright Original.Poster 2004" it would
> solve the content problem.

What, exactly, is "proprietary HTML"? To reiterate my point, the
copyright notice is unnecessary - for content and structure.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Hywel Jenkins <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly
typed:

> To the OP, there's nothing, apart from copyright law in several
> countries, to prevent others from stealing your work.

You could always make a deal with the mafia... could work!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:25:50 -0400, "John D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm
>wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
>my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
>own?

Not a lot.

Try reading http://creativecommons.org for some basic pointers on
copyright issues about the web.

--
Smert' spamionam

Whitecrest

In article <VVwlc.64789$(E-Mail Removed)>, john-
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
> over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
> wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
> my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
> own?

Yes, a copyright, and a good lawyer does that.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Richard

"John D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VVwlc.64789$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> I'm thinking about posting some research that I have been working on for
> over a year. It is mostly investment and economic type of stuff. I'm
> wondering what, if anything, prevents someone from copying and pasting all
> my formulas, articles, and research to their own page and calling it their
> own?
>
> Thanks,
> John D.

Learn about copyright and plagerism.
Depending on how much you pay, you can acquire more protection for your
original work.
Strongly suggest you seek out a copyright attorney and get his advice.