Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > white space on right side of page

white space on right side of page

TDahl

HI.

I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that there is
extra white space on the far right of the page next to the slide bar on a
few of the pages but not on the index page.

http://www.rhinolacrosse.com

The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page the
gray background stops before reaching the side.

Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables look all
the same.

Thanks for any help.

Timothy

Nik Coughin

TDahl wrote:
> HI.
>
> I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that
> there is extra white space on the far right of the page next to the
> slide bar on a few of the pages but not on the index page.
>
> http://www.rhinolacrosse.com
>
> The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page
> the gray background stops before reaching the side.
>
> Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables
> look all the same.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Timothy

No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that gap
in IE.

TDahl

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:azljc.155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TDahl wrote:
> > HI.
> >
> > I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that
> > there is extra white space on the far right of the page next to the
> > slide bar on a few of the pages but not on the index page.
> >
> > http://www.rhinolacrosse.com
> >
> > The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page
> > the gray background stops before reaching the side.
> >
> > Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables
> > look all the same.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Timothy

> No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that

gap
> in IE.

Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

Nik Coughin

TDahl wrote:
> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:azljc.155$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> TDahl wrote:
>>> The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other
>>> page the gray background stops before reaching the side.

>> No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see
>> that gap in IE.

> Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.

In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.

TDahl

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:uMljc.166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TDahl wrote:
> > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> > news:azljc.155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see
> >> that gap in IE.

> > Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

> You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.
>
> In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
> color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.

What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got some
errors here? much better than a frame

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:05:07 GMT, "TDahl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Probably more than you expect. http://validator.w3.org/

> much better than a frame

True, though the two are hardly mutually exclusive.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:52:49 GMT, "TDahl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

--

TDahl wrote:
> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:uMljc.166$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> TDahl wrote:
>>> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> news:azljc.155$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

>> You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.
>>
>> In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the
>> background color of the page to the same grey as in your background
>> image.
>>

> What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got
> some errors here? much better than a frame

Have a look at some of these pages:

http://tinyurl.com/3crm5

The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
one of them could post them here.

Learn CSS. Trust me, you'll be glad you did

Have fun, and good luck.

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:21:46 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> declared in alt.html:

> The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
> one of them could post them here.

You mean like these?

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.websitetips.com/css/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php...nt.php3?aid=48
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/wri...ylesheets.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xht...pt/css-4a.html
http://idm.internet.com/articles/200...utorial1a.html
http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/.../tsutsumi.html
http://www.westciv.com.au/style_mast.../css_tutorial/
http://webmonkey.com/authoring/style...tutorial1.html

layout examples:
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
http://thenoodleincident.com/tutoria...son/index.html
http://www.webreference.com/authorin...yout/advanced/

rounded corners:
http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
centring: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

master compatibility charts:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/a...sssupport.html
old:
http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...3/css-support/

hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

css checkers:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

(thanks brucie)

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

mscir

Mark Parnell wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:52:49 GMT, "TDahl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> declared in alt.html:
>
>>Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

> Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
> other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

I would recommend using CSS to format your pages. Maybe try this to fix
the white space, basically I moved the table style into the head section
and added border-collapse. Also center the table with a div:

<head>
..table1 {
width: 100%;
height: 100%;