Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Inline Underlining in XHTML Strict?

Inline Underlining in XHTML Strict?

Karl Groves

"Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to all for your help. Italics it is. All revised and and validates

as
> XHTML strict.
>
> Kelwin

Who are you talking to?
Please quote when you reply.

-karl

Kelwin Delaunay

"Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6md4e$efi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks to all for your help. Italics it is. All revised and and

validates
> as
> > XHTML strict.
> >
> > Kelwin
> >

> Who are you talking to?
> Please quote when you reply.
>
> -karl

Well, I thought that "all for your help" was pretty clear because that's all
there is in this thread, but then yours is not the first rude post in this
thread, either.

Kelwin

Karl Groves

"Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c6md4e$efi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks to all for your help. Italics it is. All revised and and

> validates
> > as
> > > XHTML strict.
> > >
> > > Kelwin
> > >

> > Who are you talking to?
> > Please quote when you reply.
> >
> > -karl

> Well, I thought that "all for your help" was pretty clear because that's

all
> there is in this thread, but then yours is not the first rude post in this
> thread, either.

First day on Usenet, huh?

-Karl

Kelwin Delaunay

"Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6meg9$f60$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c6md4e$efi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > validates
> > > as

> > > Who are you talking to?
> > > Please quote when you reply.
> > >
> > > -karl

> > Well, I thought that "all for your help" was pretty clear because that's

> all
> > there is in this thread, but then yours is not the first rude post in

this
> > thread, either.
> >

> First day on Usenet, huh?
>
> -Karl

Nah, I just never get used to the idea that there are some people everywhere
with nothing better to do than practice their best riff of boorish.

Kelwin

Karl Groves

"Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c6meg9$f60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Kelwin Delaunay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Karl Groves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:c6md4e$efi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > validates

> > > Well, I thought that "all for your help" was pretty clear because

that's
> > all
> > > there is in this thread, but then yours is not the first rude post in

> this
> > > thread, either.
> > >

> > First day on Usenet, huh?
> >
> > -Karl
> >

> Nah, I just never get used to the idea that there are some people

everywhere
> with nothing better to do than practice their best riff of boorish.

At least you're quoting properly now.

-Karl

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:38:22 -0400, "Karl Groves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> At least you're quoting properly now.

Except for the bit about trimming it down to only the necessary bits.
But then, you're not doing that either, Karl.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Karl Groves

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vzyf5a5fsn92.1t1bia74eb3u9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:38:22 -0400, "Karl Groves"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
> > At least you're quoting properly now.

> Except for the bit about trimming it down to only the necessary bits.
> But then, you're not doing that either, Karl.

'tis true!
I got a bad habit of that.
Eric Meyer even yelled at me for that once!

-Karl

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:19:59 -0400, "Karl Groves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Eric Meyer even yelled at me for that once!

Ooh, a claim to fame!

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

greatbigmassive greatbigmassive is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka K. Korpela
Maybe. What does underlining mean in speech, or in Braille? You mightjust as well have asked how to produce red text in XHTML Strict, or how to make some words spoken in female voice, or how to make some words have a sweet odour in XHTML Strict.
What on earth is wrong with some of you people?
The poor guy asked a really simple question. Can you underline text in XHTML strict anymore, because you COULD in HTML using the u tag.

So the answers are either.. "Yes you can, with THIS tag..." or "No you can't, but the work-around is THIS..".

The problem with some of you guys is that you're so lost in your techy world that you forget that sometimes the simplest answer is necessary and your junk-heaped replied just cause complication.

An underline CAN or can be used to emphasise text that has a special meaning compared to it's normally non-emphasised equivalent. The problem in HTML is that hyperlinks are defaulted to underlined so there may be a slight confusion.

BUT, (But) let's not forget that by default, hyperlinks are bright blue. So if you underline your normal text, people shouldn't be getting it confused with your default bright blue underlined hyperlink. If your underlined text is getting mixed up with your hyperlinks then that's just bad design by the developer because they've been changing colours.

Yes, italic is apparently the "best" way to emphasise text, but you will find lots of different opinions on this by academics. There is even the suggest that italic and underlined emphasis can have two different types of meaning.

But hey!, let's not get complicated.
If you want your emphasis to look underlined and not italic just use the EM tag and inside it but the class 'underline'.

Code:
<em class='underline'>My emphasised word</em>
Then, as mentioned, created a class .underlined and apply appropriate text-decoration.
That way it's coded correctly in the sense that HTML identifies this word as emphasis and it also means you get to paint it how you want.

Last edited by greatbigmassive; 09-16-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Firefox and Underlining Joe Firefox 2 03-30-2006 02:22 AM
asp:buttons, access keys, underlining and submit Sarmatia@gmail.com ASP .Net 1 02-22-2006 06:41 PM
FF1.04 underlining urls Wygtya Firefox 3 06-16-2005 11:36 AM
Hyperlinks With No Underlining Gillian White HTML 14 06-07-2004 04:35 PM
underlining on websites =?Utf-8?B?a21uZXdidXJu?= Microsoft Certification 2 05-25-2004 05:31 PM

Advertisments