Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Frameset scrolling

Re: Frameset scrolling

qfr

So, nobody's actually answered this question. I have a site which use
frames as well. I'm very happy with the way they work in thi
particular site, and none of the issues mentioned on those variou
linked "frames are evil" pages applies to me; I'm listed exactly th
way I want to be in search engines, I only have one frame whose sourc
is actually changing, so there's no "back" button confusion, and I'v
tested the site in multiple browsers and OSes, to fine results. Th
"content" pages are designed to look just fine outside the frameset
and look just fine they do. The site isn't designed to be printed from
and that actually works to my advantage. I actually WANT my navigatio
to be unavailable to users who access any single page from outside
Anyway.

Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll th
whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way t
do it.

To no avail, I've tried the following:

-- index.html --
<FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*">
<FRAME SRC="frames.html" SCROLLING="yes">
<FRAME SRC="doesntmatter.html">
</FRAMESET>

-- frames.html --
<FRAMESET COLS="789,*">
<FRAMESET ROWS="76,*">
<FRAMESET COLS="374,*">
<FRAME SRC="top_l.html"
SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="ul">
<FRAME SRC="top_r.html"
SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="ur">
</FRAMESET>
<FRAMESET COLS="189,*">
<FRAME SRC="nav.html"
SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="nav">
<FRAME SRC="changes.html"
SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="content">
</FRAMESET>
</FRAMESET>
<FRAME SRC="right.html"
SCROLLING=no NORESIZE name="r">
</FRAMESET>

So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be usin
frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work

-
qf

Karl Groves

"qfr" <(E-Mail Removed)4designers.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)4designers.com...

> So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be using
> frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work?

When you can successfully argue that replies which state "don't use frames"
are unhelpful, I'll answer your question.

-Karl

Toby A Inkster

qfr wrote:

> Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll the
> whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way to
> do it.

Well, there's your killer reason for not using frames then.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Steve Pugh

qfr <(E-Mail Removed)4designers.com> wrote:

>So, nobody's actually answered this question.

Because there is no answer other than the one that you've rejected.
Tough luck.

>Similarly to the original poster, I'd like to be able to scroll the
>whole page, non-scrolling frames and all, and I can't scare up a way to
>do it.

It can't be done.

>So, look, rather than an unhelpful reply about why I shouldn't be using
>frames, anyone have an idea how to actually make this work?

It can't be done.

Closest you could get would be to use some JavaScript to link the
scrolling of one frame to the scrolling of another. So using the
scrollbar in either frame would move both of them. Unless the content
of the frames are the same height the frames will scroll at different
rates. And you would still have two scrollbars not one.

Get rid of the frames and the problem vanishes. So ask yourself
whether the advantages you think you gain from frames outweigh this
scrolling problem.

Steve

Mark Parnell

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:52:50 -0500, qfr
<(E-Mail Removed)4designers.com> declared in alt.html:

Is this site still going? First post I've seen from there in a while.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au