Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Q. Is this group geared toward non-Microsoft platforms?

Q. Is this group geared toward non-Microsoft platforms?

Jim Jones

Hi,

I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.

Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
sheets".

Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.

Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something?
Please explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
time.

To date, I've had no problems for years without them.
I really need to know.

Thanks,
Jim "The un-initiated to style-sheets" Jones

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
> platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.

Except for a few oddballs, this group seems to be geared toward
authoring for the web, not any platforms or browsers in particular.

> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
> sheets".

Maybe you are asking the wrong questions? Anyway, style sheets and
anti-MSIE sentiment have little in common.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi,
>
> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
> platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.

No.

> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
> sheets".
>
> Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.

Why not?

> Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something?

No. They're better suited to browsers.

> Please explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
> time.

To separate style from substance.

> To date, I've had no problems for years without them.

Fair enough. I know a lot of COBOL programmers.

http://www.w3c.org/ is your friend.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

C A Upsdell

"Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft platofrms, ie

Internet Explorer.

> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style sheets".
>
> Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.

You don't have to use CSS. Just as you don't have to drive a car: a horse
and buggy will get you around ... so long as you accept their limitations.

> Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something? Please

explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
> time.

CSS is a standard. It is not tied to any particular O/S. It is well
supported by Opera and the Mozilla-based browsers; IE was the most
CSS-compliant browser for years, but today is a tad behind.

CSS gives you more profound control over the appearance of your pages, and
does not force you to use proprietary technologies.

> To date, I've had no problems for years without them.

You have had problems. You just haven't realized it.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:

> Hi,

> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
> platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.

> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
> sheets".

> Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.

> Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something?
> Please explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
> time.

> To date, I've had no problems for years without them.
> I really need to know.

> Thanks,
> Jim "The un-initiated to style-sheets" Jones

The group name is alt.html, not alt.html.css.stylesheets.
Although some in the group oppose the use of tables and frames, that should
not be the reason to slap somebody around merely for mentioning the two
items.
If one has a question on the use of something that a reader does not approve
of, the answer should be given without the bullshit demands.
I personally feel that if a person wants to use tables and frames, then that
is their choice and do it the way they want done.

Tables and frames are supported by all browsers. CSS is not.

If you have a question on html, ask it. Just be prepared to get whacked by
the proponents of CSS.

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
> platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.

This group is geared towards Web development, that includes MS and non-
MS development.

> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
> sheets".
> Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.

when you ask a question, everyone gives you the answer THEY think is
right. Weight the answers and do what you think is best.

> Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something?
> Please explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
> time.

Style sheets have no platform. They are for everyone

> To date, I've had no problems for years without them.
> I really need to know.

So continue without them. Again there are all types here, and all
opinions.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

David Dorward

Richard wrote:

> The group name is alt.html, not alt.html.css.stylesheets.

And, on my nntp server at least[1], the description of the group is "Use
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html instead" and we pay so much attention
to that.

> Although some in the group oppose the use of tables and frames, that

I don't recall ever seeing anyone in this group oppose the use of tables,
only the abuse of them.

> should not be the reason to slap somebody around merely for mentioning the
> two items.

Usually they are informed why table abuse and frame use is a bad idea, not
physically attacked.

And usually they would have their answer if they bothered to search the
archives or read the FAQ first.

> If one has a question on the use of something that a reader does not
> approve of, the answer should be given without the bullshit demands.

This is Usenet, not a paid helpdesk. Posters are not required to keep people
asking questions happy.

> I personally feel that if a person wants to use tables and frames, then
> that is their choice and do it the way they want done.

Well fine. I feel that if a person wants to inform people using frames and
abusing tables of the problems they might face and suggest better ways then
they can do that too. I also feel that if someone (or some group, like the
RNIB) wants to take a person abusing tables or using frames to court using
the Disabilities Discrimination Act, then thats fine too.

> Tables and frames are supported by all browsers.

No they aren't.

> CSS is not.

So?

[1] Is this universal? My knowledge of nntp isn't that great.

Mitja

"Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I need to know if this group is geared towards non-Microsoft
> platofrms, ie Internet Explorer.
>
> Whenever I ask a question here, I'm responded to with "use style
> sheets".
>
> Well, that's fine, but I don't really want to.
>
> Are style sheets better suited or Mac, Unix, Linux or something?
> Please explain, what's the reason for suggesting Style Sheets all the
> time.
>
> To date, I've had no problems for years without them.
> I really need to know.

Right.
See your last post...

> Thanks,
> Jim "The un-initiated to style-sheets" Jones

C A Upsdell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Tables and frames are supported by all browsers. CSS is not.

Opera has options to disable frames and/or iframes. Amaya does not support
frames.

Old browsers, notably NN4, do not support iframes.

It is irrelevant that some browsers (e.g. NN3) do not support CSS, or do not
support CSS well (e.g. NN4). A good designer can design using much CSS in
such a way that pages gracefully degrade with deficient browsers.

Whitecrest

In article <KLhfc.14558$2oI1.13734
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, cupsdell0311XXX@- says...
> > Tables and frames are supported by all browsers. CSS is not.

> Opera has options to disable frames and/or iframes. Amaya does not support
> frames.

First Opera DOES support frames, it allows you to disable that, so it is
user choice in those instances. As for Amaya, well the 8 of you have
made a decision to use a handicapped browser.
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com