Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to refresh browser automatically

how to refresh browser automatically

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

Hi there,

I am showing a page where settings can be done. After pressing the submit
button I do show another page with the positive message that the settings
have been saved. I also display a "Back"-button. When this one is pressed
the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
manually refresh that page and how??

Pascal

Mitja

"Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5h8dh$hc0$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am showing a page where settings can be done. After pressing the submit
> button I do show another page with the positive message that the settings
> have been saved. I also display a "Back"-button. When this one is pressed
> the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
> manually refresh that page and how??
>
> Pascal

Determining in which situation to refresh can be problematic here, not to
mention that auto-refreshing is highly unadvisable.

Try including a HTTP header (if you can configure the server, say Apache) or
a <META> tag that tell your browser not to cache the pages; this way, a
fresh version of the page will always be fetched off the server. Google for
for "http expiration" and/or "pragma no-cache".

Mitja

Toby A Inkster

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar wrote:

> I also display a "Back"-button. When this one is pressed
> the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
> manually refresh that page and how??

You're fixing the wrong problem.

Your problem is that the page with the settings form on it is being
cached. Send a few extra HTTP headers to the browser to request that it
doesn't cache the page.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

brucie

in post: <news:c5h8dh$hc0$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>
"Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I am showing a page where settings can be done.

ok

> After pressing the submit button I do show another page with the
> positive message that the settings have been saved.

great

> I also display a "Back"-button.

why and what is wrong with the browsers back button?

> When this one is pressed the previous page is shown

makes sense

> but unfortunately with the old settings.

why is this unfortunate? what if the visitor changes their mind and
wants to only change one option and save again. its not nice making them
make all the selections again.

if you mean the options have not taken effect on the old page then this
is normal behavior and obvious to everyone except the most shiny new
newbie but even they should be able to understand <p>hit refresh to
enable new settings</p>.

> Can I manually refresh that page and how??

i think you're trying to fix the wrong problem or fix a problem that
doesn't exist.

--
b r u c i e

brucie

in post: <news:c5hamt$k4k$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Try including a HTTP header (if you can configure the server, say Apache) or
> a <META> tag that tell your browser not to cache the pages;

cache directives are easily ignored. they're not something to be relied
upon.

--
b r u c i e

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

Hi there,

my page has this code but unfortunately, the page is not refreshed when it
is called....

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Meldung</TITLE><meta http-equiv="cache-control"
content="no-cache">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<form method="POST"
action="/myisapi/WebFragebogen.dll/AktiviereFragebogen"><document.reload()><
Bitte laden Sie den Browser neu, damit etwaige Änderungen aktualisiert
type="submit" value="Fragebogen aktivieren" name="bSubmit"></p></form>

Pascal

Kris

In article <c5j3tp$kmt$04$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>,
"Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi there

Who are you replying to? You have "Re: " in the subject line.

--
Kris
<(E-Mail Removed)> (nl)

Andrew Urquhart

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> my page has this code but unfortunately, the page is not refreshed
> when it is called....
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>Meldung</TITLE><meta http-equiv="cache-control"
> content="no-cache">
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <form method="POST"

action="/myisapi/WebFragebogen.dll/AktiviereFragebogen"><document.reload
()><
> p><b>Willkommen im Konfigurationsprogramm für den

<cut />

Is your question about the meta tag or the <document.reload()> tag or
both?

<document.reload()> is not a valid HTML tag. If you really wanted to do
that you'd write

<script type="text/javascript">
location.reload();
</script>
<noscript>
</noscript>

and then you could enjoy the reload infinite loop in all it's glory,
whilst providing the same functionality for no javascript users if they
so wish

http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_17
--
Andrew Urquhart
- FAQ: www.html-faq.com/

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

Kris,

I do see "Re: how to refresh browser automaticall" in my field??

Pascal

Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

Andrew, I am referring to the <meta http-equiv="cache-control">. This does
not work. Whenever this page is shown, it does not refresh automatically...

Pascal

Refresh HTML page automatically only once vampyreapocalypse@gmail.com HTML 2 11-07-2005 02:36 AM
refresh page automatically me HTML 7 05-13-2005 12:36 PM
Make IE Refresh A Page Automatically lowdes Computer Support 1 07-12-2004 11:56 AM
How do I refresh a page automatically Gram HTML 8 02-07-2004 01:15 PM
How can I set the browser to refresh automatically without losing viewstate john ASP .Net 4 01-30-2004 03:25 PM

Advertisments