Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Designing For Diffrent Screens TFTs and CRTs

Designing For Diffrent Screens TFTs and CRTs

Hardeep Rakhra

Okay, before anyone gets upset, this is a altogether different issue
that you probably had on here before.

I knocked together a site last week using CSS etc, mostly just to try a
few new things.

The thing is I was using very subtle colours. Very very light grays,
browns and yellows. The result looks quite nice..... Or so i thought.

Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.

Can people with TFTs check out :

http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html

And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
background should be yellow.

Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.

Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?

Thanks

Hardeep.

brucie

in post: <news:c4u79m$2m4up0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Hardeep Rakhra <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
> with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
> result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.
> Can people with TFTs check out :
> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html

while not all white the colors are too subtle on all 4 of my CRTs. i
only notice something is there because you've pointed them out otherwise
i wouldn't.

make your colors darker and also use a tool to check how people with
color problems would see the site.

your navigation is also broken (does nothing).

--
b r u c i e

Revd. Norle Enturbulata

"Hardeep Rakhra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4u79m$2m4up0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Okay, before anyone gets upset, this is a altogether different issue
> that you probably had on here before.
>
> I knocked together a site last week using CSS etc, mostly just to try a
> few new things.
>
> The thing is I was using very subtle colours. Very very light grays,
> browns and yellows. The result looks quite nice..... Or so i thought.

Even on a regular monitor these are perhaps too subtle - try this to
uniformly turn down the brightness on all your colors... After loading your
browser with the page-in-question loaded hit the PrintScreen key and then go
into your graphics editor - or a viewer, either way something that can
adjust brightness - and paste to a new image. You'll paste of course the
captured desktop at the time you hit PrintScreen. Alter the colors by
turning down the brightness and take note of the percentage you turned it
down.

When you go to your html/web editor and open the page-in-question - I use
FrontPage 2000 - you should be able to select the page's background color
from another source. If you have the windows with your editor and the
graphic of your darkened colors side-by-side, you will be able to use a
pen-select tool to select the color from the graphic as shown.

HTH.

--
Steve Goodman
* EarthLight Productions

> Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
> with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
> result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.
>
> Can people with TFTs check out :
>
> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
>
> And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
> flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
> left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
> background should be yellow.
>
> Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.
>
> Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hardeep.

Grahammer

Looks fine here... 21" Trinitron CRT

Monitor is calbrated using this site.

http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html

I like the colours but they might just be too subtle on some monitors if
they are low end or poorly adjusted.

One thing I did notice... Your navbar scales with my font size in IE and
Firefox, but the actual nav buttons do not.

"Hardeep Rakhra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4u79m$2m4up0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Okay, before anyone gets upset, this is a altogether different issue
> that you probably had on here before.
>
> I knocked together a site last week using CSS etc, mostly just to try a
> few new things.
>
> The thing is I was using very subtle colours. Very very light grays,
> browns and yellows. The result looks quite nice..... Or so i thought.
>
> Renders nicely on most browsers, until i checked it out on a computer
> with a TFT screen..... The site was just pretty much all white..... The
> result when my friend checked it out on her HP laptop.
>
> Can people with TFTs check out :
>
> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
>
> And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
> flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
> left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
> background should be yellow.
>
> Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.
>
> Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hardeep.

Hardeep Rakhra

Grahammer wrote:
> Looks fine here... 21" Trinitron CRT
>
> Monitor is calbrated using this site.
>
> http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html
>
> I like the colours but they might just be too subtle on some monitors if
> they are low end or poorly adjusted.
>
> One thing I did notice... Your navbar scales with my font size in IE and
> Firefox, but the actual nav buttons do not.

Yeah those nav buttons down the side are on the way out, being replaced
with somthing one of the lads in here suggested :O)

I'm using a 19" Philips monitor, probably of a higher caliber than most
too, guess i'll have to use colours that are spaced further apart. But
then again site looks identicle on my sisters much older Nokia screen.

First time i've ever come aross this. I was windering why the site just
seemed white, wasn;t till i did a scren capture and ran the colour tool
over the affect areas did i realise what it was.

I really quite liked the pale and sudued look that i created.

As for the links not working, its just the single template page at the
moment.

Hardeep.

Nik Coughin

Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

> Can people with TFTs check out :
>
> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html

Looks OK on my TFT, though I can see how it could be too subtle on others.

Bob Long

In news:c4u79m$2m4up0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
Hardeep Rakhra <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> Can people with TFTs check out :
>
> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
>
> And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar
> with flowers in it,

I can see something horizontal an light yellow; would not have recognised
them as flowers.

> a gray nav bar,

Yep.
> with more light brown navigation
> down the left.

Can't see that.

> The logo should have a astrix in the background.

Yep.

>and
> the page background should be yellow.

Looks white to me.

> Seems fine on CRT monitors, but check anyway.
>
> Any suggestions as to what range of colours are safe on TFT's?

Nope. But I'd like to know if the issue is one that affects LCDs in general,
or if it is an indication of LCD quality.

Bob Long

> Thanks
>
> Hardeep.

KirstyH

Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

> I'm using a 19" Philips monitor, probably of a higher caliber than most
> too, guess i'll have to use colours that are spaced further apart. But
> then again site looks identicle on my sisters much older Nokia screen.

I can make out different colours fine on my el cheapo 17" CRT. (Says
GEM on the front and came from Radioshack 6 months ago).

But I did find it very difficult to read (it made me squint). I could
not view it for very long.

Kirsty

kchayka

Hardeep Rakhra wrote:

> http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/kustompcs/index.html
>
> And see gimme a idea of what they see? You should have a yellow bar with
> flowers in it, a gray nav bar, with more light brown navigation down the
> left. The logo should have a astrix in the background. and the page
> background should be yellow.

All colors, except the gray navbar, are nearly imperceptable on my Mac
powerbook. Granted, it's not the latest model, but I think it's on a par
with LCD screens in general.

--
Reply address is a bottomless spam bucket.