Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Make sure your domain is in order

Make sure your domain is in order

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181

ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact information.
Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the email address is
correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you are using a
non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't even get a
warning before they de-activate your domain.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?

brucie

in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
>
> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact information.
> Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the email address is
> correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you are using a
> non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't even get a
> warning before they de-activate your domain.

what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email address
is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain or that
the email just didn't get through a spam filter? what about people who
don't have a phone number? (like me)

--
b r u c i e

rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski

Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
>
> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
> information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the
> email address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However,
> if you are using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the
> time) - you won't even get a warning before they de-activate your
> domain.

Do you have a link to the ICANN rules as to the minimum information
required? It is logically quite possible to own a domain name, and even run
a website, without having a telephone or telephone number. A cable modem
would do such fine. As such, "none" for telephone number seems reasonable.
Name + a mailing address would seem essential. There may be a million people
named John Smith on this planet, however rare that 2 would share the same
physical street address. Thus these 2 pieces of data usually are sufficient
to nail down ownership. And some e-mail address is needed to contact the
domain name owner if needed. Little excuse for not having a valid e-mail,
given all the free e-mail services out there.
--
http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers.

Bill Logan

"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
>
> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect

contact information.
> Normally they'll contact you by email,

Not quite correct! ICANN does not contact you, they contact
the registrar with whom the name is registered and 'request'
them to investigate.

Important to mention also the rgistrars are not 'required'
to report back to ICANN on the status of their investigation
and in fact of all the requests to registrars only 36
percent were responded to!

> if at least the email address is
> correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you

are using a
> non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you

won't even get a
> warning before they de-activate your domain.

Now there is a bit of scare mongering Tina. Where on earth
in that article (or elsewhere for that matter) did you find
that they will deactivate your domain without warning?

While the there is some logic in the idea that a registrant
provide legitimate contact details the article itself is
really instigated by the frustration of the Federal Trade
Commissioner J. Howard Beales III, director of the Bureau Of
Consumer Protection
who is unable to track down and prosecute fraudsters. A
couple of points spring to mind.
1. Even with accurate contact details they would only be
able to arrest and charge those who are resident in the US.
2. The article adds to the case for removal of ICANN to a
jurisdiction more International and less parochial than the
US
3. Change the title of the FTC to Federal Trade Commissarr
J. Howard Beales III, director of the PolitiBureau Of
Consumer Protection and it would sound like a communist
plot. (Is that the way the west is going? In disguise???)

Your post got my attention by the implications within it.
Thus I scrambled to read the linked article. It was a little
bit like the police rushing through the streets calling out
the Russians are comming (with all the fear that would
generate) - when in reality the Moscow circus is about to
perform.

Sugest you lighten up on the prophecies of doom!

brucie wrote:

> what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email
> address is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain
> or that the email just didn't get through a spam filter?

What if the site owner got in an auto accident and was in a coma at the
time? Or on a year long around the world vacation where they didn't have
access to a computer? Imagine at the domain name is a site about ancient
Greek history. The owner has paid up the domain name for 10 years, and also
paid up for hosting for years. Basically, their idea was to put up the site
as an information resource, and forget about it for quite a while.

> what about
> people who don't have a phone number? (like me)

I posted about this possibility at the same minute you posted the above.
A phone number is NOT needed in the least to run a website. Or, maintain
one. If hypothetical someone filed a challenge to the domain name based on
trademark infringement, the matter could be totally handled by e-mail and
snail mail.
--
http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
meddelandet news:406f6e28$0$89254$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> brucie wrote:
>
> > what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email
> > address is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain
> > or that the email just didn't get through a spam filter?

> What if the site owner got in an auto accident and was in a coma at the
> time? Or on a year long around the world vacation where they didn't have
> access to a computer? Imagine at the domain name is a site about ancient
> Greek history. The owner has paid up the domain name for 10 years, and

also
> paid up for hosting for years. Basically, their idea was to put up the

site
> as an information resource, and forget about it for quite a while.
>
> > what about
> > people who don't have a phone number? (like me)

> I posted about this possibility at the same minute you posted the

above.
> A phone number is NOT needed in the least to run a website. Or,

maintain
> one. If hypothetical someone filed a challenge to the domain name based on
> trademark infringement, the matter could be totally handled by e-mail and
> snail mail.
> --
> http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/
> For information about the psychedelic drug DXM, including dangers.

Is the postadress ( not e-mail) enough too? If you register a domain
through your host is the host responsible to give correct adress
information?
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk

Bill Logan

"rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:406f65ca$0$89266$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net.
> Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
> > http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
> >
> > ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect

contact
> > information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if

at least the
> > email address is correct, and give you a chance to

update. However,
> > if you are using a non-working email address (which I

see ALL the
> > time) - you won't even get a warning before they

de-activate your
> > domain.

> Do you have a link to the ICANN rules as to the minimum

information
> required?

There is no minimum stipulated by ICANN.
What ICANN does stipulate is that the information provided
must be accurate. False information can be grounds for
cancellation.
Two points here.
1. Not providing a phone number does not breach the rules.
Providing a number which does not exists, or belongs to
someone else would be.
2. ICANN states providing false information could be grounds
for cancellation. It does not say it will be grounds. In
other words they may or may not cancell.

It is logically quite possible to own a domain name, and
even run
> a website, without having a telephone or telephone number.

A cable modem
> would do such fine. As such, "none" for telephone number

seems reasonable.
> Name + a mailing address would seem essential. There may

be a million people
> named John Smith on this planet, however rare that 2 would

share the same
> physical street address. Thus these 2 pieces of data

usually are sufficient
> to nail down ownership. And some e-mail address is needed

to contact the
> domain name owner if needed. Little excuse for not having

a valid e-mail,
> given all the free e-mail services out there.

You are quite correct. Under ICANNs rules providing an
accurate physical street address would meet their
requirements for ownership contact. (It may not meet a
registrars agreement who may 'require' an email address)

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_jKbc.88550$(E-Mail Removed)...

If you register a domain
> through your host is the host responsible to give correct adress
> information?

The registrant (you) is responsible for their domains. You should always
make sure you know who is listed on all domain contacts as well as the
contact information. Always make sure your domain is under your control.
Don't depend on anyone else to do it for you.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?
We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
See our site for complete details.

Richard

brucie wrote:

> in post: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181
>>
>> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
>> information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the
>>email address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if
>>you are using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) -
>>you won't even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.

> what kind of majics are they going to use to determine an email address
> is dead or otherwise dodgy and therefore terminate the domain or that
> the email just didn't get through a spam filter? what about people who
> don't have a phone number? (like me)

I don't have a phone either so I use the host's phone number.
ICANN says that's fine.
As a matter of fact, they even said I didn't have to list a phone.

Richard

Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

> http://internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3334181

> ICANN is cracking down on WHOIS listings with incorrect contact
> information. Normally they'll contact you by email, if at least the email
> address is correct, and give you a chance to update. However, if you are
> using a non-working email address (which I see ALL the time) - you won't
> even get a warning before they de-activate your domain.

If they can't contact you via e-mail, they should be able to find out who
your host is and contact them.
Then if the addy isn't valid, how about snail mail to the address listed?
If that fails, then the domain should be toasted.
Giving a 5 day notice doesn't always cut it.
As many people are away from home for long periods, such as truckers, and
may not have access to e-mail.
Or you go on vacation for a month, come home and find your domain name
toasted because you didn't respond to the mail.

What about those that list ifnormation to a third party?

Just how picky are they getting?