Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > minor html problem

minor html problem

Andries

Hello folks,

Might be the wrong place to ask, but i take my chance.
A html-question.
On a site i have several pictures. The layout of the pages is:
header, picture, navigation.
When the page loads you'll see header, navigation (for a few secs.) And
then you see header, picture, navigation.
Go to http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
Click on 1986, the you see thumbs. Then click on the thumbs and you'll
see what i mean.

Question: Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by loading
the picture first?

Andries Meijer
Zilz

brucie

in post: <news:c4nafj$lf5$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
Andries <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Might be the wrong place to ask, but i take my chance.
> A html-question.

i told everyone alt.html was a dumb name for a ear wax fetish group.

> Go to http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
> Click on 1986, the you see thumbs. Then click on the thumbs and you'll
> see what i mean.

i don't see "1986" or the thumbs and whatever the silver dot thingy is
it doesn't do anything when i click it.

> Question: Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by loading
> the picture first?

you have much more serious problems than that.

--
b r u c i e

Andries

Brucie,

Thanks for your time.

No no that really not the problem.
Go to http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
or http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/
When you get to the navigation bar (left) Click on 1986 and then you see
the thumbs.

Andries

brucie wrote:

> in post: <news:c4nafj$lf5$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
> Andries <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>Might be the wrong place to ask, but i take my chance.
>>A html-question.

> i told everyone alt.html was a dumb name for a ear wax fetish group.
>

>>Go to http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
>>Click on 1986, the you see thumbs. Then click on the thumbs and you'll
>>see what i mean.

> i don't see "1986" or the thumbs and whatever the silver dot thingy is
> it doesn't do anything when i click it.
>

>>Question: Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by loading
>>the picture first?

> you have much more serious problems than that.

brucie

in post: <news:c4nb7p$pvv$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>

http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/screencap01.png [3k]

> or http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/
> When you get to the navigation bar (left) Click on 1986 and then you see
> the thumbs.

yep

> Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by loading
> the picture first?

i don't understand the question. you have two frames, nav in one and
thumbs in the other (not a reason to use frames) they appear to be
behaving how frames are supposed to behave.

don't use frames
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/

please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

--
b r u c i e

Rob McAninch

brucie <news:c4nc9v$2lh3e0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:

> in post: <news:c4nb7p$pvv$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
> Andries <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
>> or http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/
>> When you get to the navigation bar (left) Click on 1986 and
>> then you see the thumbs.

I don't like the forced fullscreen from that first link, makes me
think I should be more strict about what I allow to happen with
*my* browser. (Probably why brucie didn't see anything that first
time.)

>> Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by

> i don't understand the question. you have two frames [...] they
> appear to be behaving how frames are supposed to behave.

Do you perhaps mean the navigation in the frame with the images?
E.g. the next,index,prev icons?

I can only guess you're experiencing some issue caused by a slow
connection where the image load time is delaying the navigation
icons from loading.

Replacing the icons with text links might load them a bit faster.
The browser should render all the text while the single image is
shouldn't be an issue on subsequent pages.
--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

Andries

Hello Rob,

You'll understand my problem

Rob McAninch wrote:
> brucie <news:c4nc9v$2lh3e0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:
>

>>in post: <news:c4nb7p$pvv$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>
>>Andries <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>>http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/start.html
>>>or http://www.zilz.net/Bijwaard/
>>>When you get to the navigation bar (left) Click on 1986 and
>>>then you see the thumbs.

> I don't like the forced fullscreen from that first link, makes me
> think I should be more strict about what I allow to happen with
> *my* browser. (Probably why brucie didn't see anything that first
> time.)

I do understand this. But it's supposed to be put on a cd as part of an
art-book. So the user won't mind his navigation is gone. I did this to
get the pictures/drawings as large as possible.

>>>Is there a way to set the naviagtion right in place by

>>i don't understand the question. you have two frames [...] they
>>appear to be behaving how frames are supposed to behave.

> Do you perhaps mean the navigation in the frame with the images?
> E.g. the next,index,prev icons?
>
> I can only guess you're experiencing some issue caused by a slow
> connection where the image load time is delaying the navigation
> icons from loading.

That's the problem indeed!

> Replacing the icons with text links might load them a bit faster.
> The browser should render all the text while the single image is
> shouldn't be an issue on subsequent pages.

If the nav icons are cached in the problem stays.
I thought it must be possible to "preload" the size of the image as
space. But i can't find anything on this. Is this possible? And if so How?

Andries

Jim Roberts

"Andries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4ngch$u3v$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
> If the nav icons are cached in the problem stays.
> I thought it must be possible to "preload" the size of the image as
> space. But i can't find anything on this. Is this possible? And if so How?
>
> Andries

Try including the height and width attributes in your img elements, if you
haven't done that already. Just set them to the actual height/width of the
image. That should preload the size, hopefully.

Good Luck!
Jim

Andries

Jim,

Might do the trick.
Thanx

Andries

Jim Roberts wrote:

> "Andries" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c4ngch$u3v$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...
>
>>If the nav icons are cached in the problem stays.
>>I thought it must be possible to "preload" the size of the image as
>>space. But i can't find anything on this. Is this possible? And if so How?
>>
>>Andries

> Try including the height and width attributes in your img elements, if you
> haven't done that already. Just set them to the actual height/width of the
> image. That should preload the size, hopefully.
>
> Good Luck!
> Jim

Rob McAninch

Andries <news:c4ngch$u3v$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>:

> Rob McAninch wrote:

[snip]
>> I don't like the forced fullscreen from that first link [...]

> I do understand this. But it's supposed to be put on a cd as
> part of an art-book. So the user won't mind his navigation is
> gone. I did this to get the pictures/drawings as large as
> possible.

As someone else pointed out, including the height and width of
the images will help the browser render the page faster and then
fill in the image as it downloads.

However, if this site is to end up on a CD then this issue should
not even matter. For instance your pages are rendered quickly on
my connection (typically around 300kb/sec) and accessing a local
drive is going to be much faster.

How do the pages perform when you access them off of your local
drive?

--

"Rob McAninch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Andries <news:c4ngch$u3v$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl>:
>
> > Rob McAninch wrote:

> [snip]
> >> I don't like the forced fullscreen from that first link [...]

> > I do understand this. But it's supposed to be put on a cd as
> > part of an art-book. So the user won't mind his navigation is
> > gone. I did this to get the pictures/drawings as large as
> > possible.

> As someone else pointed out, including the height and width of
> the images will help the browser render the page faster and then
> fill in the image as it downloads.
>
> However, if this site is to end up on a CD then this issue should
> not even matter. For instance your pages are rendered quickly on
> my connection (typically around 300kb/sec) and accessing a local
> drive is going to be much faster.
>
> How do the pages perform when you access them off of your local
> drive?
>
> --
> Rob - http://rock13.com/
> Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

That's a really good point. Load times from a CD-ROM are going to be pretty
good. A user can easily copy the files to the local HD. If you were going to
keep a version on the web however, there is that problem when a page loads
into a frame. you see a white background color flash before the page
completely loads.

Andries,
I noticed you have a mono-color gif that you tile on 'main pages'. Add this
to your style sheet:

body {
background-color: #C7C4AF
}

That's the color of your background GIF and all of your main pages are
linked to the same style sheet. At your leisure, you can remove background
attributes of all the main html pages body elements. Unless you plan using
another background image in the future. Then on your frames page, add this
attribute to the "main" frame element:

<FRAME NAME="main" SRC="main.html" SCROLLING="AUTO" BORDER=0 MARGIN=0
TARGET="_top" allowtransparency="true" >

allowTransparency="true" is a Microsoft extension and only works for IE5 and
later. It shouldn't break other browsers though. This attribute will make
the frame background transparent and let the original body background color
show. see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...ansparency.asp

That is, if you want to leave a version on your site.

Regards,
Jim