Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Definition Lists

Definition Lists

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hi,
I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the page
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html
I am writing a list of rooms which the house consists of and the pieces of
furniture
which are contained in each room
(the list has to be completed yet)
I used <dt> to list the rooms and <dd> for the furniture

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk

David Håsäther

Luigi Donatello Asero <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the
> page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html

I would say no, because the defintion data doesn't define the term (and
I know that since Swedish is my native language).
Also, I think that your styling for the list is a little confusing.

I would probably mark them up as:
<ul>
<li>ett kök med matvrä med öppen spis, köksspis, kylskåp, bord,
grytor och andra kökskärl</li>
<li>ett sovrum med dubbelsäng, skåp, byrå samt nattduksbord</li>
<li>...</li>
</ul>

--
David Håsäther

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Håsäther" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns94C0A299AB85Ddavidhasather@195.67.237.51.. .
> Luigi Donatello Asero <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the
> > page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html

> I would say no, because the defintion data doesn't define the term (and
> I know that since Swedish is my native language).
> Also, I think that your styling for the list is a little confusing.
>
> I would probably mark them up as:
> <ul>
> <li>ett kök med matvrä med öppen spis, köksspis, kylskåp, bord,
> grytor och andra kökskärl</li>
> <li>ett sovrum med dubbelsäng, skåp, byrå samt nattduksbord</li>
> <li>...</li>
> </ul>
>
> --
> David Håsäther

Of course you used <ul> because you think that this is no definition list. I
assumed that it was and I followed the example which you can read on the
following page
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html
to code the mark up. The text between <dd> and </dd> gives further elements
about how the room looks like because it gives information about the pieces
of furniture and the like.
Please compare:

<dl>
<dt>ett kök</dt>
<dd>med matvrä med öppen spis, köksspis, kylskåp, bord, grytor och andra
kökskärl,</dd>
<dt>ett sovrum</dt>
<dd>med dubbelsäng, skåp, byrå samt nattduksbord,</dd>
<dt>ett annat sovrum
<dd>med två enkelsängar, två skåp och nattduksbord,</dd>
<dt>ett vardagsrum</dt>
<dd>med möjlighet av upp till 8 sovplatser,</dd>
<dt>en tvättstuga</dt>
<dd> med tvättmaskin med förrådsrum samt</dd>
<dt>ett badrum</dt>
<dd>med dusch</dd>
</dl>

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:n8Bbc.55057$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Håsäther" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:Xns94C0A299AB85Ddavidhasather@195.67.237.51.. .
> > Luigi Donatello Asero <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the
> > > page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html

> > I would say no, because the defintion data doesn't define the term (and
> > I know that since Swedish is my native language).
> > Also, I think that your styling for the list is a little confusing.
> >
> > I would probably mark them up as:
> > <ul>
> > <li>ett kök med matvrä med öppen spis, köksspis, kylskåp, bord,
> > grytor och andra kökskärl</li>
> > <li>ett sovrum med dubbelsäng, skåp, byrå samt nattduksbord</li>
> > <li>...</li>
> > </ul>
> >
> > --
> > David Håsäther

> Of course you used <ul> because you think that this is no definition list.

> assumed that it was and I followed the example which you can read on the
> following page
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html
> to code the mark up. The text between <dd> and </dd> gives further

elements
> about how the room looks like because it gives information about the

pieces
> of furniture and the like.
> Please compare:
>

> the examples on http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html

and the code which I used on the page
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html
for the list

<dl>
<dt>ett kök</dt>
<dd>med matvrä med öppen spis, köksspis, kylskåp, bord, grytor och andra
kökskärl,</dd>
<dt>ett sovrum</dt>
<dd>med dubbelsäng, skåp, byrå samt nattduksbord,</dd>
<dt>ett annat sovrum
<dd>med två enkelsängar, två skåp och nattduksbord,</dd>
><dt>ett vardagsrum</dt>

<dd>med möjlighet av upp till 8 sovplatser,</dd>
<dt>en tvättstuga</dt>
<dd> med tvättmaskin med förrådsrum samt</dd>
<dt>ett badrum</dt>
<dd>med dusch</dd>
</dl>
Another way would be to write it as an ordered list.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

Jukka K. Korpela

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Of course you used <ul> because you think that this is no definition
> list.

It simply isn't a definition list. If you call it a definition list, what
will you do when you encounter a list of definitions of terms?

> I assumed that it was and I followed the example which you can
> read on the following page
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html

They define <dl> as a definition list, then use it in foolish ways and
say that it's OK. There are two logical ways to deal with this: take the
_definition_ seriously, and follow it, not the wrong examples or loose
statements; or regard <dl> as having no actual definition whatsoever (if
it "can be used" for anything you like, then it does not really _mean_
anything), so don't use it.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Mitja

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mpybc.88467$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the page
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html
> I am writing a list of rooms which the house consists of and the pieces of
> furniture
> which are contained in each room
> (the list has to be completed yet)
> I used <dt> to list the rooms and <dd> for the furniture
>
> --
> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
> http://www.italymap.dk
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

It's all just a matter of taste, so do it as you wish.
I personally wouldn't use a definition list, since I don't think the list of
furniture really defines the room as a term. But then again, if we only used
DLs in this context (ie defining terms) they would be very rarely the thing
to do. In a way, the room as such _is_ defined by what it contains.
Anyway, IMO, there's not that much difference between DLs an ULs that you
should worry about it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns94C0C6A5D1AE2jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Of course you used <ul> because you think that this is no definition
> > list.

> It simply isn't a definition list. If you call it a definition list, what
> will you do when you encounter a list of definitions of terms?
>
> > I assumed that it was and I followed the example which you can
> > read on the following page
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html

> They define <dl> as a definition list, then use it in foolish ways and
> say that it's OK. There are two logical ways to deal with this: take the
> _definition_ seriously, and follow it, not the wrong examples or loose
> statements; or regard <dl> as having no actual definition whatsoever (if
> it "can be used" for anything you like, then it does not really _mean_
> anything), so don't use it.

Who are they? Those belonging to www.w3.org who also publish the rules about
HTML?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Mitja" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:c4mqs4$7te$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mpybc.88467$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I am wondering whether definition lists are appropriate on the page
> > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...disicilia.html
> > I am writing a list of rooms which the house consists of and the pieces

of
> > furniture
> > which are contained in each room
> > (the list has to be completed yet)
> > I used <dt> to list the rooms and <dd> for the furniture
> >
> > --
> > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
> > http://www.italymap.dk
> > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html
> >

> It's all just a matter of taste, so do it as you wish.
> I personally wouldn't use a definition list, since I don't think the list

of
> furniture really defines the room as a term.

Not a room but a sleeping room, for example. A sleeping room usually has
beds, for example and a kitchen usually does not have them although both are
rooms!

.. In a way, the room as such _is_ defined by what it contains.
That is what I mean (see above)

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns94C0C6A5D1AE2jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Of course you used <ul> because you think that this is no definition
> > list.

> It simply isn't a definition list. If you call it a definition list, what
> will you do when you encounter a list of definitions of terms?
>
> > I assumed that it was and I followed the example which you can
> > read on the following page
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html

> They define <dl> as a definition list, then use it in foolish ways and
> say that it's OK. There are two logical ways to deal with this: take the
> _definition_ seriously, and follow it, not the wrong examples or loose
> statements; or regard <dl> as having no actual definition whatsoever (if
> it "can be used" for anything you like, then it does not really _mean_
> anything), so don't use it.

You can also try to interpret what they actually mean looking at the
examples they use.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

Jim Roberts

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news4Fbc.55073$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It's all just a matter of taste, so do it as you wish.
> > I personally wouldn't use a definition list, since I don't think the

list
> of
> > furniture really defines the room as a term.

> Not a room but a sleeping room, for example. A sleeping room usually has
> beds, for example and a kitchen usually does not have them although both

are
> rooms!
>
> . In a way, the room as such _is_ defined by what it contains.
> That is what I mean (see above)
>
> --
> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
> http://www.italymap.dk
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sicilien.html

If you were going to use a definition list anyway, why bother posting your
original question? Personally I don't care whether you do or not. You
obviously are going to do it anyway. Why argue?

regards,
Jim