Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS and a broken image

CSS and a broken image

J. Codling

I can't seem to figure out why the image on this page (
http://www.jcodling.com/index.php?page=contact.htm ) makes
the background show through from time to time. Is this one
of those damned annoying IE bugs? Is there a fix? Did I do
something wrong?

It is in a style named .content which is reproduced here
just in case;

..content {
font-size: 12px;
padding: 3px;
margin-left: 200px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
border-left-width: 1px;
border-left-style: solid;
border-top-color: #000066;
border-right-color: #000066;
border-bottom-color: #000066;
border-left-color: #000066;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
text-align: justify;
color: #330066;
}

The keen eyed will notice it was made with help from
Dreamweaver MX.

It worked fine on my testing server but as soon as I
uploaded it to my host I noticed this problem. I use
Slimbrowser which uses IE plus tabbed browsing, groups and
pop-up blocker.

Thanks in advance for your help! I am trying to learn CSS
and in doing so I completely redid my site from the ground
up using CSS instead of graphics and tables. I love how it
has turned out so far except for this goofy image problem.
--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

J. Codling

I take it that it isn't broken for anyone then...

It is strange that it only happens from time to time. I
think it is something wrong with my video card driver or the
way IE is interacting with my mouse. I don't know...

--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

"J. Codling" <jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I can't seem to figure out why the image on this page (
| http://www.jcodling.com/index.php?page=contact.htm ) makes
| the background show through from time to time. Is this one
| of those damned annoying IE bugs? Is there a fix? Did I do
| something wrong?
|
| It is in a style named .content which is reproduced here
| just in case;
|
| .content {
| font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
| font-size: 12px;
| padding: 3px;
| margin-left: 200px;
| margin-top: 0px;
| margin-right: 0px;
| margin-bottom: 0px;
| border-left-width: 1px;
| border-left-style: solid;
| border-top-color: #000066;
| border-right-color: #000066;
| border-bottom-color: #000066;
| border-left-color: #000066;
| background-color: #FFFFFF;
| text-align: justify;
| color: #330066;
| }
|
| The keen eyed will notice it was made with help from
| Dreamweaver MX.
|
| It worked fine on my testing server but as soon as I
| uploaded it to my host I noticed this problem. I use
| Slimbrowser which uses IE plus tabbed browsing, groups and
| pop-up blocker.
|
| Thanks in advance for your help! I am trying to learn CSS
| and in doing so I completely redid my site from the ground
| up using CSS instead of graphics and tables. I love how it
| has turned out so far except for this goofy image problem.
| --
| ttyl,
|
| CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com
|
| *This message represents the official opinions of the
voices
| in my head*

Jim Roberts

"J. Codling" <jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com> wrote

> I take it that it isn't broken for anyone then...
>
> It is strange that it only happens from time to time. I
> think it is something wrong with my video card driver or the
> way IE is interacting with my mouse. I don't know...
>
> --
> ttyl,
>
> CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

I could have have sworn I replied to this message... <shrug>

Well, I tested with IE 6 first, worked fine. I tested it with slim-browser,
couldn't break it. It worked with it also. I tested it with Mozilla Firefox
..8. Worked fine with it as well.

I used to use slimbrowser and frequently it would not display all the
pictures on a page. Mainly this happened with phpbb forums and such that
have a lot of small images.

Have you tested your page with IE as well? What version of IE are you
using?

Jim Roberts

J. Codling

Thanks for the reply.

Funny you mention the problem with SlimBrowser. That is my
browser of choice and I never noticed any problems before.
Nothing has done this before.

Maybe it is time to change to another tabbed browser...

I just checked it in IE 6.0 and it still did it. Strange...

Wait! I just thought of something...

I checked it by browsing from my server and it DID NOT do it
so I'm not worried about it anymore. I think it is my main
system's fault. I was just worried I did something wrong in
CSS and wanted to fix it and learn the right way. Thanks for
the help!
--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

"Jim Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4lkvm$2k9iuc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

| "J. Codling" <jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com> wrote
|
| > I take it that it isn't broken for anyone then...
| >
| > It is strange that it only happens from time to time. I
| > think it is something wrong with my video card driver or
the
| > way IE is interacting with my mouse. I don't know...
| >
| > --
| > ttyl,
| >
| > CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com
|
| I could have have sworn I replied to this message...
<shrug>

| Well, I tested with IE 6 first, worked fine. I tested it
with slim-browser,
| couldn't break it. It worked with it also. I tested it
with Mozilla Firefox
| .8. Worked fine with it as well.
|
| I used to use slimbrowser and frequently it would not
display all the
| pictures on a page. Mainly this happened with phpbb forums
and such that
| have a lot of small images.
|
| Have you tested your page with IE as well? What version
of IE are you
| using?
|
| Jim Roberts

Jim Roberts

"J. Codling" <jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Funny you mention the problem with SlimBrowser. That is my
> browser of choice and I never noticed any problems before.
> Nothing has done this before.
>
> Maybe it is time to change to another tabbed browser...
>
> I just checked it in IE 6.0 and it still did it. Strange...
>
> Wait! I just thought of something...
>
> I checked it by browsing from my server and it DID NOT do it
> so I'm not worried about it anymore. I think it is my main
> system's fault. I was just worried I did something wrong in
> CSS and wanted to fix it and learn the right way. Thanks for
> the help!

I was having problems with Slimbrowser not executing java script. I wasn't
able to fix the problem, Kept getting script errors on everything. I use to
love slimbrowser. It has good ad blocking and pop-up control. I just hate
IE's poor CSS support, among other things. You should check out Mozilla
Firefox. It took some getting used to after using IE for so long, but I'll
never go back now. .

regards,
Jim