Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS Heading Width Question

CSS Heading Width Question

Dennis M. Marks

I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute; left: 0px;
top: 0px; width: 100%;

One is used on my home page and the other on all other pages. In IE
both headers are only about 95% of the width while in Netscape they are
100% of the width. Any ideas why?

--
Dennis M. Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

Rob McAninch

Dennis M. Marks
<news:010420041918390266%(E-Mail Removed) >:

> I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute;
> left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 100%;
>
> One is used on my home page and the other on all other pages.
> In IE both headers are only about 95% of the width while in
> Netscape they are 100% of the width. Any ideas why?

Which version of each browser and I'll assume MS Windows? There
are some variations in the browsers idea of how to interpret CSS
(and HTML for that matter). But if you mention specific browser
versions it may be easier to see if there's a workaround or not.

--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

Spartanicus

"Dennis M. Marks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute; left: 0px;
>top: 0px; width: 100%;

Drop the absolute positioning, you are probably using it
inappropriately.

--
Spartanicus

DU

Dennis M. Marks wrote:
> I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute; left: 0px;
> top: 0px; width: 100%;
>
> One is used on my home page and the other on all other pages. In IE
> both headers are only about 95% of the width while in Netscape they are
> 100% of the width. Any ideas why?

Give more details. Which browser exactly? In which rendering mode for
IE? Does your webpage markup code validate? As usual, it would have been
much easier to answer you if you had provided an url.

DU

Dennis M. Marks

In article <c4jpaj$rfh$(E-Mail Removed)>, DU
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dennis M. Marks wrote:
> > I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute; left: 0px;
> > top: 0px; width: 100%;
> >
> > One is used on my home page and the other on all other pages. In IE
> > both headers are only about 95% of the width while in Netscape they are
> > 100% of the width. Any ideas why?
> >

> Give more details. Which browser exactly? In which rendering mode for
> IE? Does your webpage markup code validate? As usual, it would have been
> much easier to answer you if you had provided an url.
>
> DU

I am using IE 5.1 (causes the problem) and Netscape 7.02 (works fine)
on a Mac.

I just tried relative positioning and a small margin appeared all
around the heading in both browsers.

The URL is below.

As a note of explanation: the headings and menu are generated in a
script called contents.js. On the home page there is a unique heading
and the menu is visible. On all other pages the heading is generated
using the page title and the menu is not visible unless called for.
There is no problem except for the cosmetic problem using IE 5.1. There
is a small margin to the right of the heading.

--
Dennis M. Marks
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/
Replace domain.invalid with dcsi.net

Dennis M. Marks

In article <010420041918390266%(E-Mail Removed)>, Dennis M.
Marks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have two headings defined in CSS as position: absolute; left: 0px;
> top: 0px; width: 100%;
>
> One is used on my home page and the other on all other pages. In IE
> both headers are only about 95% of the width while in Netscape they are
> 100% of the width. Any ideas why?

body {margin: 0px;} solved problem.