Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > need a new web site host

need a new web site host

Paul

I am sure this question comes up here often but I am also sure new ideas
often come up. I may need a new host for my web site. Any good ideas for
great service and reasonable price of course. Now, maybe you have some
opinions about why I am thinking about changing. My internet service
provider is through earthlink. My web host is hostsave.com. They offer a
great deal for the $8 a month BUT it appears that because of a year old
spamming issue earthlink blocks emails sent to my web site and any site
hosted by hostsave. I know this is happening because when I send emails from
my earthink account to my email addresses through my web site they get
bounced. I also wonder if other internet service providers my be blocking
emails to my addresses at my web site. I know business has dropped off
lately and can't help but wonder if this might be a cause. Has anyone else
ever encountered this problem?

Rob McAninch

Paul <news:6T3bc.8014$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net>:

> I am sure this question comes up here often but I am also sure
> new ideas often come up. I may need a new host for my web
> site. Any good ideas for great service and reasonable price of
> course. [...]

http://www.webhostmagazine.com/

You can search the reviews or maybe look at companies that have one
their editor's choice award.

--
Rob - http://rock13.com/
Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

news:6T3bc.8014$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I am sure this question comes up here often but I am also sure new ideas
> often come up. I may need a new host for my web site. Any good ideas for
> great service and reasonable price of course. Now, maybe you have some
> opinions about why I am thinking about changing. My internet service
> provider is through earthlink. My web host is hostsave.com. They offer a
> great deal for the $8 a month BUT it appears that because of a year old
> spamming issue earthlink blocks emails sent to my web site and any site
> hosted by hostsave. I know this is happening because when I send emails

from
> my earthink account to my email addresses through my web site they get
> bounced. I also wonder if other internet service providers my be blocking
> emails to my addresses at my web site. I know business has dropped off
> lately and can't help but wonder if this might be a cause. Has anyone else
> ever encountered this problem?

It doesn't make sense that email FROM earthlink would be blocked TO your
hosted email. Do you actually have more reason than that to believe its a
spam issue? It could be a misconfigured email account or something.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"Rob McAninch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Paul <news:6T3bc.8014$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net>:
>
> > I am sure this question comes up here often but I am also sure
> > new ideas often come up. I may need a new host for my web
> > site. Any good ideas for great service and reasonable price of
> > course. [...]

> http://www.webhostmagazine.com/
>
> You can search the reviews or maybe look at companies that have one
> their editor's choice award.

Oh! We did!

http://www.webhostmagazine.com/ec/award.asp?id=98

This is actually one of the only awards that really actually meant much to
me. I wish they would have told me we won it though - I didn't find out
until about 4 months ago when I was Googling around to see where our site
was being linked from!!

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?
We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
See our site for complete details.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
mud:

> It doesn't make sense that email FROM earthlink would be blocked TO
> your hosted email. Do you actually have more reason than that to
> believe its a spam issue? It could be a misconfigured email account
> or something.

CWIA in nothern CA blocked everything from Earthink for about 6 months.
Their explanation - they got to much email from earthlink.

--
Duende

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"Duende" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94BF72782249Axxxspamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4. ..
> While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
> mud:
>
> > It doesn't make sense that email FROM earthlink would be blocked TO
> > your hosted email. Do you actually have more reason than that to
> > believe its a spam issue? It could be a misconfigured email account
> > or something.

> CWIA in nothern CA blocked everything from Earthink for about 6 months.
> Their explanation - they got to much email from earthlink.
>
> --
> Duende

Hosts/ISPs shouldn't be in the business of censoring their customers email.
They should give them the tools needed to filter it themselves.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?
We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
See our site for complete details

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST.com scribbled in the
mud:

> Hosts/ISPs shouldn't be in the business of censoring their customers
> email. They should give them the tools needed to filter it themselves.

I agree with you but some do it anyway.

--
Duende

Malcolm

"Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hosts/ISPs shouldn't be in the business of censoring their customers

email.
> They should give them the tools needed to filter it themselves.

My ISP started filtering spam about 6 months ago. Best thing they ever did.
Cut my spam down from about 80 per day to about 3 per day. I then use
Mailwasher on the last 3. Saves me a lot of time.

Malcolm

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hosts/ISPs shouldn't be in the business of censoring their customers

> email.
> > They should give them the tools needed to filter it themselves.

> My ISP started filtering spam about 6 months ago. Best thing they ever

did.
> Cut my spam down from about 80 per day to about 3 per day. I then use
> Mailwasher on the last 3. Saves me a lot of time.
>
> Malcolm

Filtering spam is always a good idea. However, it should be in the hands
of the person receiving the email. That is, if they want to help you reduce
spam - they should give you the tools you need, rather than censoring your
email for you.

I can't tell you how many times our customers have missed important
announcements or bills (resulting in suspended accounts) because their ISP
thought the email might have been spam. Did you know that emails
containing a subject of: URGENT - Your invoice is overdue! has been
filtered by some well-meaning ISPs for looking too much like spam (words in
all caps and exclamation marks in subjects are a no-no)??? I'm not
against fighting spam or using server-side filters. I just think ISPs have
no business deciding for you and me which emails should be deleted for
looking like spam.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Problems with your current host?
We honor up to 6 months of their contract.
See our site for complete details.

Lois

Malcolm wrote:
: > My ISP started filtering spam about 6 months ago. Best thing they ever
: did.
: > Cut my spam down from about 80 per day to about 3 per day. I then use
: > Mailwasher on the last 3. Saves me a lot of time.

That's what you think now, but you may find out about emails you haven't
been receiving. My ISP's spam filter gradually blocked more and more legit
email, and I often didn't find out about it till months later. I had to
switch a number of things over to a web-based email address.

Tina responded to Malcolm:
: I can't tell you how many times our customers have missed important
: announcements or bills (resulting in suspended accounts) because their ISP
: thought the email might have been spam. Did you know that emails
: containing a subject of: URGENT - Your invoice is overdue! has been
: filtered by some well-meaning ISPs for looking too much like spam (words
in
: all caps and exclamation marks in subjects are a no-no)???

Or those emails may have been blocked because they were from an automated
system. Among the emails my ISP blocked were ones from web hosts.

Lois