Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: About Spambots and HTML

Re: About Spambots and HTML

Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly didn't dance

C A Upsdell wrote:

> "Davmagic .Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Do spambots generally harvest email addys from form tags with hidden
>>fields that include required email addys?
>>
>>Example: Matts Form Mail requires a hidden field: <input type="hidden"
>>name="somename" value="(E-Mail Removed)">
>>
>>Do any of you know of a better script that does not require hidden
>>fields with email addys... Server side email key and value type
>>set-ups...?

> It is trivial to modify Matt's formmail.pl so that the email address(es) are
> in the .pl file rather than in HTML files.

well Idont program in Perl but I dont see why you cant have it submit
the form to the server to an object/value (whatever they are in Perl) of
"Email" and in the script itself define "Email" as "(E-Mail Removed)"?

C A Upsdell

"Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly didn't dance"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wMUac.223$(E-Mail Removed)...
> C A Upsdell wrote:
>
> > "Davmagic .Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Do spambots generally harvest email addys from form tags with hidden
> >>fields that include required email addys?
> >>
> >>Example: Matts Form Mail requires a hidden field: <input type="hidden"
> >>name="somename" value="(E-Mail Removed)">
> >>
> >>Do any of you know of a better script that does not require hidden
> >>fields with email addys... Server side email key and value type
> >>set-ups...?

> > It is trivial to modify Matt's formmail.pl so that the email address(es)

are
> > in the .pl file rather than in HTML files.

> well Idont program in Perl but I dont see why you cant have it submit
> the form to the server to an object/value (whatever they are in Perl) of
> "Email" and in the script itself define "Email" as "(E-Mail Removed)"?

That's the basic idea, except that with my solution one can put a code in
the email field and have formmail.pl map it to one of a selection of
destination addresses. This enables the form to be used to send the email
to any one of a set of destinations, all without having any email addresses
in the HTML code.

This solution has the side-effect of making it impossible for a spammer to
use the modified formmail.pl to relay spam.