Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Position:fixed hacks for Internet Explorer?

Position:fixed hacks for Internet Explorer?

Eric Pinnell

What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed bug in Internet
Explorer? There are several sites listing solutions, but I'm not sure
which one I should use.

Eric Pinnell

(Author, "Claws of The Dragon", "The Omega File")

For a preview, see: http://www.ericpinnell.com and click on "books"

Spartanicus

Eric Pinnell <see my web site> wrote:

>What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed bug in Internet
>Explorer? There are several sites listing solutions, but I'm not sure
>which one I should use.

The methods I've seen all suck, my browser natively supports
position:fixed, but it causes sluggish scrolling and it's a reason to
test my back function on sites that use it.

--
Spartanicus

Steve R.

Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...
> What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed
> bug in Internet Explorer?

Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

Works every time :~)

DU

Steve R. wrote:
> Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...
>
>>What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed
>>bug in Internet Explorer?

> Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established and
widely supported. You can't be serious.

> Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
with simple HTML and tables?

> Works every time :~)

The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

DU

Steve R.

DU wrote in message ...
> Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
> suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established

It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
*average* public use.

> How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
> with simple HTML and tables?

Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
within tables.

> The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
> weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

The CSS ways also have problems (otherwise the OP wouldn't have posted),
and I certainly wouldn't agree with your use of the term *widely adopted*,
when you examine the source code of the majority of websites :~)

rf

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:lON2c.10972$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DU wrote in message ...
> > Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
> > suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established

> It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
> *average* public use.
>
> > How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
> > with simple HTML and tables?

> Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
> within tables.

You still have not specified how simple HTML and tables can simulate
position:fixed.

If you don't know, position: fixed fixes and element on the *viewport*. How
do you make a table do that?

Cheers
Richard.

'Wired article - The Firefox Hacks you must have' ar@x Firefox 0 12-13-2005 03:05 PM
Sidekick Hacks? preesi Computer Support 0 08-17-2005 07:18 PM
Sidekick Hacks? Preesi Computer Support 4 08-01-2005 01:43 AM
CSS hacks Veritech HTML 2 07-16-2005 11:29 AM
How to avoid lifecycle hacks? =?Utf-8?B?SG9tYW0=?= ASP .Net 11 03-03-2005 09:45 PM

Advertisments