Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > FTP uploads via browser takes path of desktop machine

FTP uploads via browser takes path of desktop machine

jim arnold

Any ideas here would be appreciated....

The company where I work has a tool where a file can be upload via a
web browser to a directory on a Unix server. The tool that they wrote
also allows you to update the file. On any computer other than a
windows machine whenever you try to "update" the file our program
picks up the path of the file on the desktop computer used to upload
the photo. At first I thought it was a Macintosh problem until I tried
to update a file via Mozilla on a Unix box and it too picked up the
path of the file on that computer. The problem occurs when you use the
tools to link to the updated file. Now instead of pointing to the path
of the file on the Unix server it's pointing to the path of the file
on the computer you used to update the file and obviously breaking the
html.

Sorry, I don't have access to the code they used to write their
program. I was hoping someone might have an idea I can present to them
to fix this.

Thanks.

spaghetti

On 4 Mar 2004 05:33:19 -0800, jim arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any ideas here would be appreciated....
>
> The company where I work has a tool where a file can be upload via a
> web browser to a directory on a Unix server. The tool that they wrote
> also allows you to update the file. On any computer other than a
> windows machine whenever you try to "update" the file our program
> picks up the path of the file on the desktop computer used to upload
> the photo. At first I thought it was a Macintosh problem until I tried
> to update a file via Mozilla on a Unix box and it too picked up the
> path of the file on that computer. The problem occurs when you use the
> tools to link to the updated file. Now instead of pointing to the path
> of the file on the Unix server it's pointing to the path of the file
> on the computer you used to update the file and obviously breaking the
> html.
>
> Sorry, I don't have access to the code they used to write their
> program. I was hoping someone might have an idea I can present to them
> to fix this.

It sounds like a poor upload handling script, probably designed by someone
who never tested it on a system other than Windows. There isn't much you
can do 'cept contact those who built the system and see if they can fix it.