Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Printing in HTML?

Printing in HTML?

D. Comyn

I am working on a web site on which there will be applications that the user
would need to print out, fill out, and (God forbid) 'snail mail' them to our
company. I am currently designing a page that lists all the available forms
that are available for printing.

Is there a way to print a page from the current page without the browser
actually having to go to the page I want to print?
I have found several ways, such as onclick commands and javascript routines
that will allow me to print only the current page containing the routine,
but none so far that will allow me to print separate pages.

TIA

Jukka K. Korpela

"D. Comyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a way to print a page from the current page without the
> browser actually having to go to the page I want to print?

Well, somehow the page to be printed needs to be accessed. But on
typical browsers, the user can right-click on a link and select Print,
so that the browser "goes" to the page without showing it to the user,
and prints it.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Paul Furman

D. Comyn wrote:
> I am working on a web site on which there will be applications that the user
> would need to print out, fill out, and (God forbid) 'snail mail' them to our
> company. I am currently designing a page that lists all the available forms
> that are available for printing.
>
> Is there a way to print a page from the current page without the browser
> actually having to go to the page I want to print?
> I have found several ways, such as onclick commands and javascript routines
> that will allow me to print only the current page containing the routine,
> but none so far that will allow me to print separate pages.

Is the problem that each customer is likely to need several pages and it
gets too complicated? I think it is possible with PHP to grab several
documents and put them in a multi-page PDF. Just have a checkbox form to
gather the list...

Toby A Inkster

Paul Furman wrote:

> Is the problem that each customer is likely to need several pages and it
> gets too complicated? I think it is possible with PHP to grab several
> documents and put them in a multi-page PDF. Just have a checkbox form to
> gather the list...

Look into Ghostscript.

You will want to store the PDF files as Postscript files instead, then
when the user chooses their pages, use Ghostscript to merge the Postscript
files into a big temporary Postscript file, then use Ghostscript to
convert from Postscript to PDF.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS