Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Input-Field

Input-Field

Jörg Heinrich

Hallo NG,

i want to make a input field to enter a date (dd.mm.yyyy (german-format)).

Is it possible to preformat the field, so the "." appears automaticly after
you enter the "dd"?

Thanks for helping!
Joerg

Jukka K. Korpela

"Jörg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i want to make a input field to enter a date (dd.mm.yyyy
> (german-format)).

Better make it unambiguous format: yyyy-mm-dd, which is also
a DIN standard (since there's an EN equivalent to ISO 8601).

> Is it possible to preformat the field, so the "." appears
> automaticly after you enter the "dd"?

Not in HTML. Using JavaScript you could make some punctuation appear
automatically that way (and you could make your form handler accept the
dates with or without punctuation). But it would probably confuse and
even irritate more than help users.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Andreas Prilop

"J?rg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From: "J?rg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> i want to make a input field to enter a date (dd.mm.yyyy (german-format)).

DD.MM.YYYY *was* a German date format until 10/15 years ago.
Both <http://www.din.de/> and <http://www.cenorm.org/> have adopted
the ISO date format YYYY-MM-DD.

Do something about your newsreader^W Outlook Express:
<http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html>

--
Top-posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

Mark Parnell

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:46:43 +0100, "Jörg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Is it possible to preformat the field, so the "." appears automaticly after
> you enter the "dd"?

The best way would be to make it 3 separate fields (you could then make
them <select> elements rather than text input if you want). Your form
handler can combine them when processing the form if necessary.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Toby A Inkster

Andreas Prilop wrote:

> "J?rg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> From: "J?rg Heinrich" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Do something about your newsreader^W Outlook Express:
> <http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html>

My newsreader displayed his &ouml; fine. Jukka's and Mark's seemed to as
well. Problem may be on your end.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS