Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users

ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users

kayodeok

I found this article during my web travels:

ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108

Enjoy!

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Steve Pugh

kayodeok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I found this article during my web travels:
>
>ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
>http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108
>
>Enjoy!

Um, and what do end users use to access content? Oh yeah, user agents.

Steve

kayodeok

Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> kayodeok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
>>http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108
>>

> Um, and what do end users use to access content? Oh yeah, user
> agents.

I posted the article simply as another point of view in the
discussions on how useful ABBR and ACRONYM are.

Personally, I use them if required but I have seen discussions both
here and at CIWAH which has questioned their use.

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm

Toby A Inkster

kayodeok wrote:
> ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
> http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108

More <abbr>-related fun:
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

kayodeok

Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> kayodeok wrote:
>> ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
>> http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108

> More <abbr>-related fun:
> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

I tend to use:

Styling <abbr> in IE
http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/abbr.html

But you mentioned some limitations on your page which I will have to
explore (I am too lazy to do this at the moment)

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm

Andy Dingley

On 27 Feb 2004 22:38:32 GMT, kayodeok <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108
>
>Enjoy!

"Idiot has opinion and web page" shock, horror.

Mark Parnell

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:02:40 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

>That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled.

Why report that here?

Update your copy of Mozilla, or http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ if you are
running the latest version.

--
Spartanicus

Mark Parnell

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:56:19 +0000, Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)>
declared in alt.html:

> Why report that here?

Because it could just as easily be an error on the page. Not that I
doubt Toby, of course . I actually started posting it before I tried
it without JS, and was thinking that it may be an error in the scripting
on the page.

Also, I though Toby might like to know, so he can warn others if
necessary.

> Update your copy of Mozilla, or http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ if you are
> running the latest version.

I am using the most recent stable version (1.6). Unfortunately I really
don't have the time to go bug-chasing. But as I said, I though Toby
might appreciate knowing.

--

Mark Parnell wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:02:40 +0000, Toby A Inkster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
>> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

> That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled.

Must be a local problem. Tested here without crashes in:

* Mozilla 1.6, Linux
* Mozilla 1.4, Linux
* Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
* Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
* Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

abbr or acronym for currency codes? dnn HTML 8 04-19-2006 07:39 PM
<abbr> and <acronym> Marcus Stollsteimer HTML 44 02-18-2006 07:25 PM
Use of acronym and abbr tags with anchors Rowan Malin HTML 10 05-14-2004 07:00 PM
<abbr> = <acronym>? Steven HTML 37 12-28-2003 11:15 PM
Help with some "special characters" & ABBR/ACRONYM Fred HTML 2 07-17-2003 02:38 PM

Advertisments