Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > newbie help

newbie help

Tim Gill

hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in a
new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to a
smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this? Also, will this
newly sized window behave normally in terms of vertical scrolling if the
content is longer than the 400X400 window? I don't want it to scroll
horizontally, though.

tia!
-TG

Steve R.

Tim Gill wrote in message ...
> I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in

> new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to

> smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so.

Lots of info at this link below ...
http://tinyurl.com/2nm9a

Tim Gill

thanks a lot- good stuff

-TG

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:tMN%b.3850$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tim Gill wrote in message ...
> > I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open

in
> > new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to

> > smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so.

> Lots of info at this link below ...
> http://tinyurl.com/2nm9a

Sid Ismail

:
: I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in a
: new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to a
: smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this?

This is a job for Javascript:
http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm

Sid

SpaceGirl

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:00:53 GMT, "Tim Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)0m>
> wrote:
>
> : hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.
> :
> : I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open

in a
> : new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to

> : smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this?
>

> This is a job for Javascript:
> http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm
>
> Sid

A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers block
window.open(). The next version of IE also natually blocks them. There were
some interesting surveys recently too about popups (ie; why 70% of them are
never viewed, and the other 25% are closed inside 5 seconds). I think
there's a link to it on www.theregister.co.uk

miranda

Whitecrest

In article <VlN%b.3609$(E-Mail Removed)>, swinger_oo6
@h0tmail.c0m says...
> hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.
> I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in a
> new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to a
> smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this? Also, will this
> newly sized window behave normally in terms of vertical scrolling if the
> content is longer than the 400X400 window? I don't want it to scroll
> horizontally, though.

First make sure thats what you want to do.

Then if you decide it is, search google for "pop-up window maker" and it
will show you sites that will create the code for you.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:34:18 -0000, "SpaceGirl"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers block
: window.open().

Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

Sid

SpaceGirl

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:34:18 -0000, "SpaceGirl"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers

block
> : window.open().
>

> Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...
>
> Sid

naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by popup
blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

Steve Pugh

"SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

>naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by popup
>blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

Some do, some don't.

Steve

SpaceGirl

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "SpaceGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

> >naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by

popup
> >blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

> Some do, some don't.
>
> Steve

I use Norton AntiSpam (which also blocks ads and popups). It doesn't seem to
block windows being opened. It seems like a daft idea anyway... to get a
window to open via HTML, a use must CLICK on something, which means the user
chose to do it. It would seem very strange to block that sort of event. On
the other hand scripted events which are generally done without the user
clicking anything are blocked, and should be nasty popups!